Sign in to follow this  
january

PMDG ON 40INC LCD SCREEN

Guest phil1234

I am going to get a 40inc hd tv as a my display and use my laptop (17 inc screen) as the side window....what you think? (especialy from the PMDG team) any one else done this? if so whats it like? It should be useful as i am doing my PPL and then want to move on to the ATPL so it should be a good investment.Phil.

There was a similar thread a week or two ago and I'll say the same thing I said then - I don't personally think it's going to look that good unless you're sitting way back from the screen. A 1080p HDTV has a resolution of 1920X1080, which I think is quite low by PC monitor standards. My 24" monitor has a 1920X1200 res and the 30" screens that are made by Apple, Dell etc run at 2560X1600. You're talking about taking a screen almost twice as big as a 24" and running it at the same or lower resolution - I think that's gonna look pretty bad up close to it. (and wouldn't being up close be the point, to make it look big like a real cockpit view?)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I do agree with Ryan, if you want a BIG screen for flying don't buy a 1080p LCD TV but a 30 inch TFT instead. Or as an alternative: TripleHead2Go now works with wide screens too with a resolution of up to 1680x1050 pixels. The biggest TFTs you can buy with that resolution is 22 inch. So three times a 22 inch TFT will get you a pretty big picture too (5040x1050 pixels in total). Note that you would need a really fast PC to run that one...Markus

Markus Burkhard

As an alternate I am using a 40" Sony XBR LCD TV as my FS monitor in 1080p resolution.While a couple of other brands DID NOT prove sharp enough (thank God for Sam's Club), my XBR is totally acceptable. I went from a 28" 1600x1200 monitor to the 1600x1080 tv without issue.For those running super high resolutions this might not work. I did purposely choose the 40" as the number of pixels spread across the screen remain the same at whatever the TV size. The 40" was big enough and sharp enough.Just one opinion!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 - FSGS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | Bose Companion 5 | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Carl- delighted to see your post re large screens. I've been pondering this strategy for awhile. I agree with Tabs that a 48" would likely be too grainy. However, consider (as you have) a smaller screen- perhaps 37-42.I think the major benefit for large screens, whether triple monitors or single large screen as yours- is to display more visual stuff- MULTIPLE VIEWS and MORE of the panel. The real captain has a 180

Alex:I will be glad to just as soon as I am back up and running- MB snafu currently :(. Stay in touch....Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 - FSGS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | Bose Companion 5 | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Mo- beautiful pics- thanks ever so much for posting. So this seems to establish that a 32" TV works just fine! Is there any possibility you could try the 2D panel WITH triple views along the lines of my test shots in this thread?(Left square bracket will produce a new view- click on it to grab the focus, then Ctrl/num7 or 9 will set View LFwd or RFwd. Then drag the 3 views so they are equally sized then play with the vertical height of each until the horizons all line up.) Simple!!! Can't wait to see the result!Alex Reid

Wait a sec here - are those actual photos of the TV taken with a camera or are they screenshots? If they're screenshots, that isn't a valid way to judge, they're being scaled down to a much lower res/size, which is going to mask the effect the large screen would have on clarity.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Mo- great shot- thanks. I think I may have miscommunicated re "Triple Views". What I intended was a shot with triple SCENERY views- rather than multiple popups. That is, the default View Fwd reduced in size to fit the middle 1/3 of the screen. Then View LFwd created, dragged & sized to the left 1/3 of the screen-then similarly View RFwd on the right. With a bit of vertical size adjusting, the 3 views should synchronize into one BIG view- 135