Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

US National Championship Air Races 2008

Gents-Every year come September, the US National Championship Air Races are held at the old Stead Field just north of Reno, NV. As some of you forum old-timers will recall, I run a race team that participates each year in the T-6 class and this venue always makes for a neat opportunity to meet and chat with PMDG customers and fellow airplane nuts!The races will be held from 10SEP-14SEP this year and will involve hundreds of aircraft and race teams across multiple racing classes. My team races in the T-6 Class, which tends to be the loudest and most crowded race field.For those who have never experienced closed course air racing, picture this: Seven airplanes chasing around an oval shaped course flying at altitudes ranging from 50-100' above the desert floor, vying for position in three dimensions over 5+ laps.The speed of the contenders depends largely upon the race classes, with the T-6 class clocking in around 230mph and the Unlimited class racers routinely bumping up against the 520mph or greater!If you've never stood on the flight line and watched a Mustang, a Bearcat, a Tiger Cat or a Sea Fury pass by at 500+ only 100' above the ground- it is a sight to see. :-)For those planning to attend, please feel free to stop by the T-6 Race Pits and say hello! If we aren't busy (there is almost always something to fix...) we can give you a tour of the airplane, tell you about the latest story of the day (there are always stories to tell in air racing) or just give you an "insider's perspective" of this crazy sport.The pit location for our Race #8 will be in the first row directly in front of a large hangar with a "T-6 Race Association" sign hanging on the north side. The airplane is sea-green with a yellow cowl ring and a checkerboard nose. (no- it isn't blue- it is sea green. Ask and we'll show you...) If you can't remember the details- just look for a T-6 with a big number 8 on the side. :-)http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...RR/Grace8_3.jpgPaul Gollnick from PMDG Tech Support will be on hand again this year if you've ever been interested to meet the fellow who answers Support@ email. Paul is a very skilled airplane mechanic- and he has graciously volunteered to provide technical answers on any PMDG product while also conducting a spark plug change on the PW1340 engine trouble shooting electrical problems or helping to adjust the prop governor between race heats. ;-)In the past, we have raced on four of the five racing days. I anticipate that we will race on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and then again in the finals on Sunday. Our schedule tends to vary a bit from day-to-day, and we are ALWAYS busy fixing, tweaking, buffing- but if you'd like to stop by- we'll be happy to say hello.(Please understand that if you see us working frantically on some mechanical contrivance, we might have less time to chat than if we are just sitting around watching the new guys put another coat of wax on the airplane....)If you'd like more information on the races- visit:http://www.airrace.orgWe'll look forward to seeing you there, stop by and say hello!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I wish I could come to watch, Robert. Unfortunately I am stuck here in Australia without sufficient funds to fly to the USA. (sob, sob) :(

Sounds fantastic!!All the best with the racing! :DBest regards,Robin.

I've been telling myself for years I want to make it out to Reno for this, but never do.Good luck this year Robert. :)

Well ####. What do you know a sim guy doing it for real! See you there, one of my buddies runs a aerobatic school at Stead and he hooks me up with a pit pass for the week. Most of the time all I need to do is walk out my front door or out the back yard and I can watch the races. There is a real good view from the driving range of the golf course as well. Also this year the Thunderbirds will be at the races.If you interested here is the linkhttp://www.airrace.orgSee you in the valley of speed07 ImagesIMG_2026.jpgIMG_2222.jpgIMG_2252.jpg

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB

I was 30 seconds from calling my friend and heading out the door tomorrow morning to make it out there....until I Googled Reno, NV and found out it's 12 hours from where I live. I just moved here, so I still have little concept of time and distance. I also thought, for some reason, that Reno was closer to Vegas (East coaster, sorry). I'll have to plan on attending next year.Need an apprentice/waxer/beerman? Hah!Kyle

Kyle Rodgers

You should consider yourself lucky! If I was to go to Reno to watch, this is what I'd have to do to be there...Catch a United Airlines flight from Sydney to San Francisco (13h 23m). Wait almost 2.5 hours to catch a United Express/Skywest Airlines flight from San Francisco to Reno (0h 59m). Do the same for the return leg, since I can't stay in the USA. All up, it would cost me $AUD2,864.00 ($USD2,273) and I'd have travelled 24,484km (15,213 miles) by the time I got back home.

>You should consider yourself lucky! If I was to go to Reno to>watch, this is what I'd have to do to be there...>>Catch a United Airlines flight from Sydney to San Francisco>(13h 23m). Wait almost 2.5 hours to catch a United>Express/Skywest Airlines flight from San Francisco to Reno (0h>59m). Do the same for the return leg, since I can't stay in>the USA. All up, it would cost me $AUD2,864.00 ($USD2,273) and>I'd have travelled 24,484km (15,213 miles) by the time I got>back home.See there is your problem. You fly to SFO and RENT a car. then you can enjoy the drive over the Sierras. It all freeway from San Fransico to Reno. You could even stop an check out Lake Tahoe on the way. (Not to be missed) If you really must fly to Reno fly to LAX first. If it's summer and your in SFO rent a car with no milage charges and drive.As for Vegas and Reno not being close. They couldn't be farther apart. The local golf course where University of Reno plays won't even have red tees or flags. Thats UNLV colors! Southwest does make the trip. Vegas has the strip Reno has REAL mountains and Tahoe.

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB