Sign in to follow this  
golli

About buying the 744 Freighter

Good day simmers.I just want to get the pure facts about, downloading, back-up and activating the PMDG 747-400 Freighter.As I understand it, if I were to buy the 744 Freighter, I have to download it first (of course) and write/burn the exe file to a CD. And then install it and activate via internet.The main thing I want to clear up is; what I'd actually be downloading was an executable file (that could be burned to CD) that I can use again (on the same PC) if I had to re-install the aircraft, for various reasons. I seam to recall a discussion on this forum, about the "PMDG Extended Download Services" would be for those who were not to make a back-up of their purchase.If I buy the PMDG 747-400F, WITHOUT buying the "PMDG Extended Download Services" I would not have to buy the actual product, again, if I had to re-install Flight Simulator.I would not like to find myself in the same shoes as many people did with some PSS products. "High and Dry" after PSS went under.Hope the PMDG team can make sense of my meaning.Golli.

Hi,Ive had the 744 and the 744F for a while and I placed the EXE files in a DVD and you can reinstall them anytime you need to if you remember your email, order ID and password.Its also a good idea to do this with every MSFS addon you have if you don't have the CD version.

However, to install the PMDG 747 you will always need an active internet connection. I don't think that you will be able to install the packages when for some reason the PMDG server is down.PMDG please correct me if I'm wrong.Don't know about the CD version.Rainer

Rainero

Interesting question. Product validation is required via internet, so if for some reason you have to do a clean reinstall from a backed up copy and PMDG was out of service then you could not validate the product. This is probably true, but I wouldn't let that keep me from owning any or all of their products. As long as they are in business then it is their profit motive to keep the server on line. We the customers are making a bet that they are not going to go out of business anytime soon when we buy their product.Off hand, I don't know any way around this other than to sell a product without on-line verification, which I would not expect them to do because there are many who will try to hack any copy protection because it is such a great product.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Alias

>Don't know about the CD version.>>Rainer>With the CD version you can reinstall anytime you want, no activation is required.For downloaded software you need an active internet connection but you have a limited activations number, then you have to contact PMDG support to reset the counter. (Like I did last week).Cheers

>>Don't know about the CD version.>>>>Rainer>>>With the CD version you can reinstall anytime you want, no>activation is required.>For downloaded software you need an active internet connection>but you have a limited activations number, then you have to>contact PMDG support to reset the counter. (Like I did last>week).>>Cheers>> "Limited activation numbers" ?? How many activation numbers do you get??Thanks in advance.Golli.

Guest Alias

Well precisely I don't know, I think you have 10 possibilities or so, but they come to an end. I speak by experience as last year for me was hectic: viruses, crashes, Hard drive cracks I had to reinstall from scratch many times, then I changed machine.Cheers