Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian Jones

pilot command coming into land 737NG

Guest Brian Jones

HiUsing the 737-700NG, when I come into land using A/T, A/P, the disembodied "co-pilot/navigator" voice begins Alt countdown: "1,000"; "500" etc, and then just after "400" someone says something like "set 'em up" or something "up" and I can't make out what that command is. Does anyone know? Has it got something to do with my flaps perhaps?Brian

You might get "Pull Up" if you have the wrong flap setting and haven't lowered the gear.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Are you talking about the Mechanical voice or does the 737 have a virtual co pilot like the LDS767? (never flown the 737)You wouldn't get a PULL UP command from the aircraft if your were improperly configured, The GPWS will give you a TO LOW GEAR or TO LOW FLAPS warning.You should be hearing the ALT call out and then "Approaching minimums" and then "minimums" depending on what DH or MDA you set during your approach checklist.Rob

Rob Prest

>Hi>Using the 737-700NG, when I come into land using A/T, A/P, the>disembodied "co-pilot/navigator" voice begins Alt countdownIt

The only command I can think of is "Glideslope..... Pull Up".But you would rarely get this command if using the autopilot.Another possibility would be "Terrain....Pull Up".But only on a rare case you would get this on final.You also might get a "Don't Sink" warning on final if you descend to fast.Every modern Boeing Jet comes equipped with a Radio Altimeter ( the altitude callouts you hear when below 2500FT AGL ) and GPWS ( Ground Proximity Warning System ). As mentioned above you should take the time to read through the manual to find out what these callouts mean, etc.

Guest Brian Jones

Thank you for your replies, esepcially Rob. THe voice I heard was indeed saying "minimums" and I didn't know this was referred to as Radar Altimeter.Re: your requests I should read the manuals. Believe me, I have devoured every single word of the accompanying printed manuals that came with the PMDG 737NG CD box I bought and I have also combed the various intensive and comprehensive PDF manuals that came on the CD itself.There is not one single mention of Radar Altimeter or indeed any reference to altitude callouts.Can you tell me where this reference is located in the manuals?Thank youBrian

Hello Brian,Well, I don't think there is anything special to the radar altimeter, not anything substantial to read anyway. The radar altimiter doesn't take the actual atmospheric pressure in account contrary to the barometric altimeter on the PFD so it's always dead accurate. It starts at 2500FT "Twenty-five hundred" when gear down, otherwise at 1000FT all the way down to 10FT.There is no "Approaching Minimums" callout in the PMDG 737, all you get is "Minimums" according to the MDA (Minimum Decision Altitude, mesured with barometric altitude) or MDH (Minimum Decision Height, mesured with radar altimeter) that you've set via the minimums reference selector on the EFIS panel (Chapter 7, Page 60).It seems you've have just got the PMDG 737, it's the best of the best (my opinion of course) and it's pretty complexe due to it's realistic nature. Give the manuals a good read and don't forget that there are very good tutorials on the internet, on youtube for example :).Happy landings

If you search the docs it is RADIO altimeter, not RADAR altimeter. (Radar does not have the short range accuracy required.)