Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flyingdutchman

AOM MD-83 video from Just Planes.

Hi all,Today I received the AOM MD-83 video from Just Planes. And I wasn

Staffan

Staffan,Not only on the ground.The french generally talk french on EVERY frequency.So when we fly to Lyon, we are the only plane with whom ATCtalks english ! That means your situational awareness goes out the windowand you don't even know if ATC is expecting an answer from another plane or not. Not very save.The italians and the greec are similiar but not THAT bad.As far as I know the french even have a special agreementthat they are allowed to drink alcohol during flight,(yes, you can see the FA's walking to the cockpit with two glasses of red wine served with the meals).Furthermore for flights within france they even have ATP licenses without the need to be able to talk or understand english.Bernt Stolle Capt CRJ

I live in San Diego and often hear a lot of Spanish on airline company freqs. It seems all of the Mexican based airlines speak Spanish when talking with Mazatlan Center, or Tijuana Approach. The American based flights speak English. Unfortunately I cannot hear the actual ground stations for Mazatlan Center, but I can always hear the aircraft.

Well, if they speak french, spanish, deutsch, italian, or greek, then so be it, as long as they don't break the rules over our skies(UK, CA, USA.) The thing about the French drinking booze inflight does bother me a little, but I'm over in Chicago, and Air France 747's don't fall out of the sky here, so I'm ok. I suppose they stop drinking once they begin to cross the channel, then by the time they get to the US, they are all sobered up :)I flew a Cessna 172 in Peru over Nasca, and the Nasca Lines, and with my broken spanish, I was barely able to communicate with the tower, luckily a peruano piloto was to the right of me, so he helped me out a little. Great thing to fly over a foreign country so far away, especially over those awesome geogliphs in Nasca.So like I said, they can do what they want in their own country, and if the IATA or ICAO get's mad, and tries to fine them, then that certain country might close it's airspace to foreign airlines, and that just ain't gonna happen.I have completed my rambling!--------------Paul MeyerProud American!www.KryptonAir.comwww.LAARTCC.org

Hi Staffan,I just got The Lan Chile DVD by World Air Routes featuring the A340/A320 and B732 on both domestic and international routes (A340).I too was a little disappointed because all ATC chatter was in Spanish, even on the leg from Santiago d Chile to Madrid. They changed to English obviously when continueing on to Frankfurt. Like I said I'm a little disappointed, too, I think the distributors could at least declare that on the box since most people would expect English chatter :-(Best regards,Dirk <>

Staffan,Yeah...I hate to say it, but I believe the cameraman for Just Planes videos doesn't like the cockpit as much as he does the outside view of airplanes. He's Joe Pries of Airliners.net fame (Just Planes, Joe Pries....get it?). I don't even think he's got a pilot's license.Keep up the great panels!!Regards :-waveJonathan Real World PilotComair/JU

I Bought the DC-10 AOM DC-10-30 video and am dissappointed in it also. At least in the MD-83 one, you could tell they were talking in French. In this one, when ever the pilot speaks to ATC, it sound like a garbled mess of static ( ya know the commercial of the guy in the hamburger drive-through you can't understand- just like that). At one point in the video, even the controller tells the pilot to get his radio fixed. Why they decided to release this for sale, I am not sure. If you are thinking of getting it, don't bother. I think the "FLIGHT IN THE COCKPIT SERIES" are very good, at least the ones I have seen, but since they changed to "WORLD AIR ROUTES", I think the focus has canged from 'what goes on in the cockpit' to 'what are we flying over' and it is not as interesting. Just my opinion.Any one else notice this?

hi, yes i agree with your comments, i own" the flight in the cokpit" 737 200 serie , 757, 727 , A340 , A310 and iam quite pleased with any of them. the only disappointing serie was the 747 sabena serie (i think the last one in the cokpit). the sound in there is just horrible.Henry. CYXT

Hi,I also have Fine Air DC8 "Fly in the cockpit" video, and that one is satisfacory, but not excellent. At least the captain and the engineer explains all the different systems in a DC8. :-)But I am sure that I will never buy anything more from Just Planes if they are more into "World Routes".....Think I will try some of ITVV

Staffan

Hello, I bought the Inter European A320 from ITVV. I was quite impressed with it, lots of views of the panel and systems. It was a pity it was mainly focused on the captain. I thought they should have filmed from the co-pilots side too. I am sure a lot more views outside of the aircraft whilst on the ground would give some scale to the A320. I am not complaining, I get to fly them!!!Julie ScottA320 Captain

Hi Julie,Lucky you. :-)Unfortunately, ITVV are more into modern "glass" cockpits. They don

Staffan

Julie,You are lucky, have you added your info to the "tell us what you fly" post? It would be interesting hear about what you do.

Hi Staffan;I recently purchased The DVDs on United (777-200), Varig Brazil (737-300), (737-700), (767-200), (767-300), and MD-11 and Air Atlanta Icelandic leased to Excel Airways out of the UK (B767-200).They were all excellent and English was spoken. Sound was very good.I am happy with my Justplanes DVDs.

Dear Staffa, When I received the AOM DC-10, CORSAIR 747SP/300 and "Final Day" at Kai Tak videos from Just Planes, I was very dissapointed with the quality, too. Example: (AOM DC10-30) The plane just took off but the cameraman moved the camera to the left, and I got a clear, nice, view of Paris...That wasn' t was I was lucking for exactly like a Passanger view. I want to know when they pull up the landing gears, flaps, how they react, how they comunicate each other etc... When the Captains speaked to the camera, on both videos, they speaked unclearly (If that word exist ;), the sound was very poor, and, they didn't gave me so much information has I expect it after an hour of seen gauges, panoramic views, the crew, the "Boufet" but nothing about the flight. The Kai Tak video is even worse, because he occasionally changes his spot view! He occasionally move from where he is, same places... Same angles... You get really bored after 30 mins. I have the 747-400 Cathay Pacific video from ITVV, and that's quality. I'm assuming that You may be looking for good sound quality, learning and, stunning images. In a quick comparison of, Image Quality, Sound Quality and learning : Go ITVV, it worth.Best Regards,Mi 2 cents,Bruno Francescoli.