Sign in to follow this  
FleaJump

PMDG 747 : Unable to rotate MCP dials

Hi all, this is my first post so please bear with me if this comes accross as a dumb question, but, I have been unable to identify the reason why the 747s MCP dial knobs for heading, speed, and vertical speed are all unresponsive when the mouse arrow is used to attempt adjustments.I have all the PMDG 737 versions, and have never encountered this problem of MCP adjustment dails being entirely non-responsive. Is there a download patch that addresses this problem ?I tried to rotate those MCP dials both the 2D and the virtual cockpit with no luck in either case, so I am assuming this may in fact be indicative of bug for which a patch possibly already exists. Any pointers would be appreciated.Also I have been entirely unable to change the range setting on the HSI in order to "zoom out" and display the entire magenta flight path I have programmed. Simple clicks on the HSI range-select panel SHOULD accomplish this range adjustment as it does in the PMDG 737s, but in the 747, I simply cannot make any changes, and so on my short hops from EGKK to EGLL, only the portion of the flight path immediately in front of the aircraft is visible, with range expansion entirely blocked from mouse-click access. Am I missing something really fundamental in this area ? My third and final question concerns landing the 747. Still struggling to master the FMS in the 747, I usually wind up hand-flying the magenta line of my CDU-defined flight path since the auto-pilots will not engage, and more often than not, I start my descent too high and more than a tad too fast. Having succeded in executing nice autolands with the PMDG 737 series aircraft, I am confident that the 747 will one day yield its secrets to me, but for the time being while I do adopt the "drive and dive" approach and landing philosophy, I was just wondering if a REAL life 747 could be manhandled down from above the glide slope for touchdowns at over 170 knots without crash-landing. In other words, is the real 747 as forgiving as the PMDG 747 sim version with respect to sloppy approach speed management, such that the brakes and thrust reversers will suffice to bring her to a halt before the tarmac ends ?I hope I haven't posed too many questions for one post, and I would be grateful for answers to any of the above mysteries. ThanksTony Selario

Best regards from Tony, at the helm of the flying desk.

Let me be brief:Look at the introductory part of the manual, specifically page 32. That should give you all the information you need in regards of using the knobs and dials.Karsten

Hey thanks for the pointer Karsten. I have the manual printed out and I'll give page 32 a closer look. I do tend to skim over in my intial reading of anything that extensive.Tony

If you really want to learn how to fly the PMDG 747, get the AoA (Angle of Attack) DVD training videos for it. 3 DVDs with over 6 hours of video instruction on them. I've been using the 747 for a long time now, and just got the video DVDs a few days ago. They will bring everything in the user's manual "all together" for you and make the aircraft a complete joy to fly.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

I will shortly be picking up a copy of the AoA 747 video tutorial as you suggest, Falcon. I already have Chris Palmer's AoA LevelD 767 training video, and I develop a more solid understanding that bird every time I view it some more. I expect the 747 video to be as good as or better than the LD767 video, and if early reviews are anything to go by, I'm in for a treat when that 747 CD pack arrives. Tony

A little detail. The knob/mouse interaction is different between the PMDG 747 and 737. One uses only the left mouse button and depends on your cursor position near the knob for direction. The other uses a right or left mouse click to turn the knob clockwise or counterclockwise. Maybe that will be a help. If I switch between the two aircraft, I frequently will get mixed up for a moment when turning knobs. :-dohKim

Same here... LOL. I have to sit for a minute and say to myself " Does this plane use the right mouse button??? ".As far as the AOA 747 video goes, its great. Well worth the money.A good buy for newbies and vetrans.

Thanks so much for that reply about use of the RIGHT mouse button in the PMDG747's MCP, Tunnel Cat. I'm certain that detail is mentioned in the manual, but I sure did overlook it, and would have probably spent a good deal longer stumbling about in the dark, if it weren't for you mentioning that fact here. Much obliged. The fog has lifted.

>I'm certain that>detail is mentioned in the manualThat's why I gave you the exact page where to look. I mean we can't spell anything out if people are not willing to at least read the manuals first, can we? ;) You have to do your homework first. But I'm glad it was indeed just a case of failing to read the instructions rather than a real problem with the software.Karsten