Sign in to follow this  
CrashEd

Two networked PCs - is it worth it?

Just wondered if anyone has this kind of setup for FSX and the PMDG products?I'd like to have FSX and PMDG running on my main PC and then have FEX/ASX/Ultimate Traffic etc running on another machine to reduce the work load that my main PC currently has to do, in a bid to improve overall FPS (well, in the hope of increasing the overall level of detail) Is it worth it/possible?

Ed Haslam

Hi Ed!If you can obtain a second-hand PC, then I would most certainly recommend it. You will see below my rig. Works very well.Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Guest Mower

>Hi Ed!>If you can obtain a second-hand PC, then I would most>certainly recommend it. You will see below my rig. Works very>well.>Cheers, RichardHow so exactly? What runs on which pc? I have many lying around, all networked and my PMDG 744x FPS sux. Thanx.

I have everything running off the second machines so all CPU power goes to the 747.Active sky, fsrealtime, company acars, TSRAutobrake, Active sky, TOPCAT, Squawkbox, servinfo. And then all my Navigraph charts checklists etc. You will need a reg version of fsuipc.Rob

Rob Prest

Guest Mower

You will need a reg version of>fsuipc.So I would have to buy a copy?

Just noticed I put Active sky twice :) yep you would have to pay for it, but the amount Pete Dowson has done for our community I would have probably donated even it was freewhere.Rob

Rob Prest

Guest Mower

yep you would have>to pay for it, but the amount Pete Dowson has done for our>community I would have probably donated even it was>freewhere.>>RobTrue in theory but I have to keep my powder dry for the MDS and FS Passengers.Only so much honey in the pot.

That's good news as I have a copy of FSUIPC for mapping keys on my Saitek. Is it WideFS (or something like that) which you need in order to network the two, and is this included in the registered version?Also, is it easy to actually set the two PCs up to talk to each other? The last time I tried networking PCs I nearly killed someone. Then myself ;-) >True in theory but I have to keep my powder dry for the MDS>and FS Passengers.:-)Now to go and rummage in the elephants graveyard of PC components...

Ed Haslam

Hi Ed,You can read all the details re FSUIPC/WideFS on Peter Dowson's pages on AVSIM. Just search AVSIM for 'Dowson'.I found it a little difficult to set up the networked PCs, but with reading the texts (especially, I found the ASX networked set-up very useful) it's all explained.When you get specific problems, many on this forum are willing to help.My 2 PCs, each with 2 displays, enables me to avoid all that task switching nonsense.Good luck,Regards, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Hi Richard,Good to hear you got it up and running in the end - I'll check out Peter's web page and see what it entails. Sure would be nice to have more performance out of the 744 and some more displays :-)Do you run Vista on both machines? I heard that Vista can be a pain to network...Edit> Just seen your sig ;-)

Ed Haslam

FWIW I use 2 additional laptops on a WideFS wireless network with FSUIPC- run everything on them other than the FS and MCP program that runs on the desktop. Works flawlessly- and when I need to take one of them on the road- that's easy too!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest SIX

This is a no brainer.I run two laptops full of all sorts of different utilities and such. Too many to mention. I figure it frees up about 100 mb or so of RAM. That is substantial!Wilson HinesMy Blog: http://www.wilsonhines.com --------------------------------------http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpgRequesting PMDG to install the Expobar Brewtus in any further upgrades to the 744http://tinyurl.com/55ayp8http://online.vatsimindicators.net/837438/3074.png

>Hi Ed,>>You can read all the details re FSUIPC/WideFS on Peter>Dowson's pages on AVSIM. Just search AVSIM for 'Dowson'.>>I found it a little difficult to set up the networked PCs, but>with reading the texts (especially, I found the ASX networked>set-up very useful) it's all explained.>>When you get specific problems, many on this forum are willing>to help.>>My 2 PCs, each with 2 displays, enables me to avoid all that>task switching nonsense.>>Good luck,>Regards, RichardDid you use WideFS for Active Sky X or did you have to buy SimConnect? I think I read that ASX can only be networked using SimConnect??

Ed Haslam

Ed,SB4 and ASX utilise SimConnect, which is a part of FSX Deluxe Edition. SimConnect therefore must be installed on your client PC in a two PC setup.Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard