Sign in to follow this  
brynjames

Repainting Tutorials?

Hey, do any of you know where I could find a tutorial on repainting aircraft? I read a very detailed one somewhere (I thought here) at one time, but can not locate it now?I just get a black plane even though I save it in DXT format and add mipmaps?Anyway, if anyone could please pint me in the right direction it would be very helpful and appreciated ;-)Thanks!

Guest GabrielR

Ok, the best place to start is the AER, on the top of this page, make cilck on it and you will go to a page where you can see at the bottom a painting Icon, that's where I started almost a year ago...What usually happens is that you lost your alpha channels while opening the texture, do the folowing:1. open the texture with imagetool2. click on image and select 32 bit, no 243. click on save as, and choose a name, **but choose Targa file** in the type of file option.4. Open with your Paint shop program (paint Shop Pro)5. select MAsk, load from alpha channel, and select save to disk, and save with whatever name you want.6. IMPORTANT: close and do not save the changes7. Open Again the Targa file, choose mask, load from alpha channel8. Click on delete.now you hava a targa file, and mask, work with them.when finished, integrate the alpha channel as described in the tutorial.open with imagetoolopen the targa, select image, and select DXT3 formatselect create mipmapssave with name of the original texture, and that'll do it.sounds confusing, I kno, take a look a the tutorial, is very clear.hope this helps.

Guest GabrielR

Forgot to say, get all the latest info at the aircraft design forum...

>Ok, the best place to start is the AER, on the top of this >page, make cilck on it and you will go to a page where you >can see at the bottom a painting IconSorry, I don't see "the AER" on my screen. Could you give a link please? Thanks.

Thanks Gabriel - I missed it because it does not appear on my forum message reading page, but only on the Avsim home page.