Sign in to follow this  
Guest kelvind80

747 Typical Cargo Load ZFW

Guest kelvind80

Hey,I just wondered if someone could tell me a realistic cargo load for a 747. I'm used to flying the passenger version and know a good, realistic load is around 235 tonnes (235,000 kg). Is this a reasonable amount for a cargo a load aswell?Many thanks,Kelvin

Hi Kelvin,it all depends on the distance ...i.e. I loaded KRSW-EDDL ( 4250nm ) pax with ZFW of 244.8 Ktons which amounts to 71.0 of loadThe Cargo version has other basic figures. Much higher MAX ZFW, higher LDW but less max fuel.Just caluclated ELLX-VHHH ( 5370 nm ) at zero wind I can carry about78500 kgs which is a relativly light load for a 400F - it can carry up to 120 tons but would never reach VHHH ....Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman Fosterhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

In this Current Climate most cargo operators need to depart at MATOW (Maximum Allowed Takeoff Weight) The airline my father flies for our canceling flights on the 744F if the figures are to low.Rob

Rob Prest

Hi,I'm no expert, but I generally thought freighters carried as much as possible to where they were going? It's a bit like sending a cargo ship half way around the world with only half a load...very expensive.Best regards,Robin.

Generally speaking, yes most carriers would fill that badboy up with as much as possible and not to exceed the max takeoff weight. With the 744F most flights are international so they require more fuel than cargo.Good numbers to use would be from 90,000LBS to 130,000LBS of cargo weight.

Hi,its pure mathematics...Both types have the same MAX TOW - so in theory the pax version can carry about 67 tons of load and the cargo version around 123 tons./based on max zfw and DOW /With max load: 744 can carry 149.9 tons of fuelthe 744F only 108.6 tonsThe cargo operators now are calculating the range with a certain load and revenue in comparison to range with higher load and a fuel stop - whichever is higher ( revenue minus costs ) they use...Here an example:ELLX-VHHH5350 nm zero wind 11:00 hrsTOW 395.1ZFW 244.1 load 78.7FUEL 151.7The alternative would be a fuel stop somewhere in Russia, which produces higher available load ( most probably max ) but higher costs for extra landing, crew availability etc.Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman Fosterhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Guest 413X3

most scheduled cargo operators have one really profitable route, and go for a loss on the return. for example. Cargo TO Asia is not that much, so the freighter will fly nonstop from the states or Europe to Asia. Then on the way back, it is full of cargo, so it makes a fuel stop, usually PANC for the Americas/Canada, or somewhere in Russia/China/Kazakhstan from Asia. I believe UAAA is a big fuel stop for freighters from Europe to Asia/SE Asia.I think a lot of freighters, at least from America because of the trade deficit, fly near empty from the states, nonstop to Asia. And full on the way back, so they stop at PANC.

Ideally, she'd have whatever leaves you with 12-13T fuel remaining and keeps you below 302T (MLW). In fact, that's the best bit about flying Jet Lift for me- the possibility of a short(er) flight and a MLW landing all in one- our fat girl flies soooooooooooo much better heavy!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest 413X3

Carl, Can you give me some routes, flight numbers, weights, and cost index? I love the gss repaint and would love to fly some of their flights. you guys only fly to houston and new york in the states, right?

TOPCAT at http://www.topcatsim.com/ will enable you to play around with MZFW, MTOW, MLW, block fuel etc. for both the B744 and B744F.I find this a very effective way of learning how to play off payload versus fuel load, their range implications and en route refuelling requirements.Try the many combinations and I promise it will teach you a lot.Cheers, RichardPS flying empty to Asia certainly introduces you to the climb capabilities of our fat one!

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Not the most exciting routes as they dont fly to Quito, Bogota, Baku etc... but they only have 3 744F aircaft in the fleet.http://www.gssair.co.uk/http://www.baworldcargo.com/schedule/Summe...onghaul_s08.pdfUPS and Cargolux have some great routes with plenty of short hops.This is the current Virtual UPS route that I am on KATL (ATL), EGPK (PIK), EHAM (AMS), LLBG (TLV), KORD (ORD), RKSI (ICN), RJAA (NRT), KATL (ATL)Rob

Rob Prest