Sign in to follow this  
roarkv

speedbrakes/thrust reverse

Why wont the speedbrakes deploy at touch down 747 FS9? I have tried several landing patterns with the bird, FD, A/T activated, speed-brakes ARMED, but they kick in at touch down and NO trhust reverse activation. regardsRoar

Check the null zones on your throttle, they need to be fully idle.Rob

Rob Prest

So it's not a separate throttle? you should be able to go into Options, Controls, Calibrate Joystick. increase the null zone or re-calibrate.Rob

Rob Prest

thanks - I did - didnt solve the problem. Do you perform app/landing with the A/T armed all the way down - or do you disarm the A/T?If I disarm the A/T before touchdown eveerything works OK, but not when the A/T is armed performing an autoland or manual land. Why?Roar

All manual landings are done with the A/T off, that is standard on all SOP's I have come across but there may be airlines that allow it.If I have performed a full Autoland once the main gears are on the ground I push a little button on my throttle that disconnects the autothrust then apply idle reverse and verify the autobrakes and spoilers have kicked in. If I am not in a CATIII situation I will disconnect the A/P when the nose gear is down as I wont need rollout guidence.EDIT - just wanted to add I disconnect the autothrust on a manual approach but keep it armed in case I need TO/GA thrust for a missed approach.Rob

Rob Prest

thanks!But with the PMDG the reverse thrust will NOT engage if A/T still is ARMED at TOUCH DOWN. Roar

I think we can solve this a lot faster with screenshots :) the autothrust can be armed but it doesn't mean it's being used. You need to activate a thrust mode and then verify it on the FMA eg: THR REF, THR HOLD, IDLE etc.Can you test something for me? place the aircraft on the runway engines running ARM the autothrust and F/D and RTO on the brakes. You should see on the FMA - blank TOGA TOGA - Dont hit TOGA just manualy advance to T/O thrust and at a 100 knots reject the takeoff go to idle and add max reverse.Rob

Rob Prest

thanks again. I tested the procedure ant the FMA showed blank | TOGA | TOGA and I reversed engines, speedbrakes deployed and the aircraft finally stopped. Why does this not work in a landing configuration at touchdown?Roar

If it works on Take off then it must be pilot error. Are you sure the FMA is blank on landing? I'm running out of ideas :) I have made thousands of landings and it works everytime.Rob

Rob Prest

how do I add attachments here - Im always asked for login username and password after uploaded the files???Roar

1. You have to land with at least 25 degrees of flap in normal operations.2. Unless you are doing an autoland, you have to disconnect the autothrottle and retard the existing thrust to idle by yourself. A/T Does not retard the thrust if you are landing the plane by hand.3. If you touch down with thrust levers in NOT IDLE position, you won't get auto spoiler deployment. I usually disconnect the A/P as soon as the plane stabilizes on the glide slope and disconnect the A/T with the 100 altitude call. Then fly the plane onto the runway and start a gentle flare at about 50 feet, cut the throttle at 30 feet call. My vertical speed at touchdown is usually less than 100 fpm and I get auto spoilers all the time.