Sign in to follow this  
VHOJT

Did I muck up at YSSY? Gusty winds...

Hi there chapsCame into YSSY (744) last night with a headwind of 30 knots gusting to 45.Now manual states:"Target Speed: The speed at which the approach should be flown. Target speed should equal 25REF+5 or 30REF+5 knots. To this figure, add 1/2 steady wind plus the full gust factor (up to a maximum of 20 knots.)"Does the twenty knots refer to simply the gust additive or the overall wind additive?I had an additive of 30 knots yesterday (full gust + 1/2 of steady headwind).This took me to a Flap 25 Vapp of 182 knots - very fast for a wet and gusty runway. I elected to have a Flap 25 landing because a Flap 30 Vapp of 176 put me way too close to the 180 knot placard limit for flap 30.I have a feeling that 20 knot additive is overall - it was a very fast approach.Was the landing too fast?Also - are there any situations where are a flap 25 landing is preferred over a flap 30 (apart from economic reasons)CheersRudy

Sure has been windy around here today (Coffs Harbour) in the real world. I imagine Sydney was fairly similar too. Would've been fun landing a real 744 in the wind today!On that topic, check this out. At 1:45 the pilot must've been about pointing 45 degrees to the runway. The last one is truly terrifying - I love flying but if I'd been on that plane I'd have probably wet my pants...

Rudy,From what I understand the max 20 knot additive is indeed a total additive to Vref. Your example above with winds at steady 30 knotas and gusts up to 45 would have given a 15 + 15 = 30 knot additive which is above the 20 knot limit.So yes you were a tad too fast on your landing...Cheers,

Thanks for clearing that up Mats. Thought it was a little quick!Some of those crosswind landings were intense...namely that final one and one of the A32x go-arounds.Thanks again chaps.