Sign in to follow this  
Guest kelvind80

PMDG 737 Altitude

Guest kelvind80

Hi,I just wondered how to "make the airplane go higher" - a naive way of saying it lol. I know how to fly this thing pretty much, I just got an issue with the altitude. And here's my problem:Say I'm taking off, and my transition altitude is 6,000, same as my cleared altitude AND the altitude at the end of the SID. So I post 6,000 into my MCP, then take off and fly for a little bit. Then I am given clearance to fly to a higher altitude before the end of the SID, and overflies the height restriction (for an easier reference, I'm flying the WOBUN 2F out of LHR, and given a clearance to fly above 6,000 at WOBUN) which is where my problem is. In the 747-400, you just twist the knob, then push it to confirm, but in the 737, you can't push it... so what DO you push to confirm?Many thanksKelvin

You are in VNAV, aren't you ?.If so, the only way I've found is pushing twice the VNAV button, that is, swithching it off and on again.

If I understand your situation correctly, All you do is set higher altitude in the MCP and press ALT INTV (Altitude Intervention) switch.

Guest kelvind80

Yeh I've found it now. Thanks guys.There was two worries I was having which are now resolved. Firstly I had the "Allow VNAV ALT (if applicable)" unchecked, so when I got to the first constraint (6,000), it was capturing 6,000ft, then switching to altitude hold. All I needed to do here was just re-engage VNAV with a higher altitude posted in the FMC. It's because it didn't match the cruise altitude set by the MCP, so VNAV just disconnected.Then when I had the "Allow VNAV ALT" checked, it would level of at a certain altitude, then as the guy above me quite rightly stated, press VNAV INTV to fly higher (pretty simple), and press it again to cancel any constraints if ATC give you clearence to fly higher.Many thanks,Kelvin D

Guest Brian Jones

Where can I find the "Allow VNAV ALT" or "VNAV INTV" on the PMDG 737NG 600 or 700? I Can't see them in my cockpit. Or is it only the larger PMDG 737s?Brian

Press Alt key to access PMDG Menu, in Styles.ALT INTV switch is next to Altitude Input window to the right on the MCP.Another feature of this is you can update higher cruising altitude by using this switch in the FMC, Pressurization panel needs to be set manually though, just like in the real bird. PMDG is just amazing.Bhaskar Krishna

Guest Brian Jones

Thanks for your tip . But I went into Styles on the PMDG tab and all I got was the attached screen shot. Perhaps this option is only available on the larger 800/900s PMDG 737NG?Brian