Sign in to follow this  
Guest topofthestack

B737NG OVERHEAD PANEL AT NIGHT

Guest topofthestack

I just love flying my PMDG B737 but at night the overhead panel is virtually impossible to use as all the switches are 'blacked' out and you have to feel around with the mouse for them. The panel light itself seems to have an either 'On' or 'Off' setting and there is no lighting on the switches themselves.I've trawled through the Forum to find an answer to this problem without success, so does anyone have a solution to making the switches visible at night?

There is a PANEL BRIGHT switch in the centre-upper section of the panel, have you tried it ?

Guest topofthestack

Yes of course: all this does is switch the panel lights on or off and puts light onto the switch label, it doesn't in anyway illuminate the switch mechanism itself so it's difficult to actually find the switch itself without fumbling around with the mouse. From my recollection of flying in a B737 cockpit at night, this isn't realistic. Can you imagine this on the cockpit panel with a pilot feeling around in the semi-dark trying to find a switch? Some sort of lighting as the cockpit panel has would be much more appropriate.

"From my recollection of flying in a B737 cockpit at night, this isn't realistic."This is probably a failing of MSFS.... MSFS enables you to start a flight in total darkness. Total darkness is rare in the real world... and you usually get some warning of it.... so you switch on the lights before it gets too dark ;) Cheers.Q> イアン

Guest topofthestack

Yes, I quite agree.My point is that, in my experience, when in the cockpit at night you can actually see the switches, and not have to fumble around for them. Perhaps the PMDG team could look at this issue for a service upgrade and their next project.

My point was that it was a MSFS failing, not PMDG's. Why not temporarily change the time in the FS menu?I've walked into a dark flight deck on a remote bay after the crew have turned down the screens and turned off the lights. I can make out the shape of the edge of the overhead panel and have guessed which switch was the Storm Light. Admittedly, I had the sense of touch to guide me, too, but....Another well-known sim simulates smoke in the cockpit. I took it as challenge finding the switches, not a sim shortfall.I must be getting old.... all the young guys seem so soft/pampered these days :(Cheers.Q>

Guest topofthestack

Perhaps I'm getting old and grumpy, and want things too easy. I understand your point about MSFS; I don't care who tackles it, just that they look at the issue.Thanks for you input; as it's just you and me subscribing, I suggest we put this issue to bed and just leave the 737 with the battery master switch off and the cockpit in the dark.