Sign in to follow this  
Mace

MD-11's powerfully leaping into the sky?

I have been looking around at videos and photos of MD-11's taking off, and I noticed that the aircraft seems to be capable of doing a very high angle takeoff and rapid climbout compared to many other big jets. Is this true, or was I reading too much into these photos, or looking at lightly loaded MD-11's?RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Rhett,this obviously depends on the weight and the amount of thrust applied (and temperature).But yes one could say that pitch at take-off is on the higher side compared to other types. One can reach 18

Markus Burkhard

She really does climb like a homesick angel..... ;)Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | NaturalPoint TrackIR Pro | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

She has more power then the DC-10, that's for sure. I think the wing is different too, between the -10 and the -11. I'm used to a fairly high approach angle with the DC-10 because of its wing.I don't think the high approach speed of the MD-11 will surprise me, but I guess you never know until you try it...RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

Rhett,the MD-11's wing was not changed from the DC-10, apart from adding winglets. Only the horizontal stabiliser changed shape and size, reducing drag but adding tons of instabilities (resulting in stabilising systems like LSAS and RCWS).The approach speed is higher than the one from the DC-10... In a no-wind situation look at a Vapp of approx. 157 kts at MLW and Flaps 35.Now imagine this adding up with some gusty wind...Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Hi Markus,So, they had to use computer-aids to counteract the instabilities they designed on purpose?? What is the reason for this, fuel economy?I heard from a friend that the F16 was designed to be instable in ordeer to achieve greater speed and manoevrability.The fly-by-wire made it possible to fly the plane.If on the MD-11 the LSAS and RCWS fail, is the plane still flyable?Greetings,Wijnand (ehbk)

Wijnand,Douglas did not add instability on purpose, it's a side effect from the reduced effectiveness of the stabiliser. They reduced its size in exchange for drag reduction.To help trimming the aircraft Douglas added a computer controlled fuel system that will keep the CG within desired limits by pumping fuel in and out of the tail tank automatically. Fully simulated here of course...Flyability without RCWS and LSAS is just fine, you will be able to try that. Unfortunately the 'feel' of RCWS can not be provided since the motor providing feedback on the yoke is not present in home-purpose USB flight controls hardware.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

>I've been on several basically empty 757 flights before and>man, those takeoffs are fun!I've been told that the 757 (especially the variant with the Rolls-Royce engines) is a real hot-rod. Lightly loaded! That would be something. They (American Airlines) fly 757's out of Tegucigalpa, and they say they do better out of that field than the 737's and A320's do, by far.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett