Sign in to follow this  
Guest mbarnette

BC Approaches

Guest mbarnette

Just a quick question here. On the 747 FSX version I tried to fly a Backcourse approach but I could not find anywhere where to tell the airplane it was a backcourse. During the approach, the airplane did exactly what it should, flew the course the direction the needle was telling it to but during a back course approach you don't want this. Is there any way to fly the Back Course approach while on auto pilot or am I going to have to fly it manual?

G'day, Here is a direct quote from Captain Mike Ray's 'Unofficial 747 Checkride Manual', ' Mr Boeing failed to include that obnoxious reverse sensing doo-dad that made us able to fly that goofy backcourse procedure.....so this particular airplane CANNOT FLY A BACKCOURSE approach" (p.245). Hope that clears it up for you.RegardsPete Carlsen

Guest mbarnette

Clear as day, thanks for the answer.

>Just a quick question here. On the 747 FSX version I tried>to fly a Backcourse approach but I could not find anywhere>where to tell the airplane it was a backcourse. Since 747 is equipped with HSI you should still be able to fly the approach manually and don't have to worry about reverse sensing. The idea is to set up your course pointing to the front course and the problem with reverse sensing is gone.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg