Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

727 panel fix

Ya, the tires are a bit big there Mike. The plane itself looks great!Regards and Thanks for the great 727,BillP.S. Arn't the leading edge slats and Kruger Flaps depoy on the first notch of flap instead of the 3rd notch settings? Just curious.

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Mike,The issue of the tire/wheel size on the 727 has probably resolved itself to everyone's satisfaction (or maybe not), and I should probably leave it alone ... BUT I CAN'T ... especially after following the preceeding link. An 'Amerijet International' 727 is sitting at the end of my hangar row, and after stowing the 206 this evening I sat for awhile and stared at the thing (with my finely calibrated eyes). While I didn't go over it with a tape measure I can tell you (as you already know), you have the proportions correct.Interesting story on the 'Amerijet' though. Seems it was flying overhead (Lakeland, Florida) and developed an engine problem. They made a precautionary landing here and subsequently decided it was to their advantage to part it out rather than repair it. So we're apt to be looking at it for awhile.Thanks for another superb aircraft.Leon

Good job on getting the facts clear. They seem to match very closely with Mike's source.Bob

Hi Mike,Your source for aircraft line drawings must be "The Modern Civil Aircraft Guide" by David Donald? I was puzzled where they were all coming from. I guess if we read the table of contents we will have a heads-up on what may be next? ;-)Good Job and thanks.BobEDITED -- Just went to Amazon.com and was able to get the book to my door in 4 days for less then $7.00 ;-) ;-)THANKS!

Anniete's scale thingy is a bit off I think, Its easy to screw that up actually and make it fit as you want. Personally I think the gear is too large and sits too far away from the fuselage. I brought over a buddy who flys these currently (I also have a bunch of hours in these) and he pointed out immediatley that he thought the gear was too large. Otherwise, he had nice things to say about it overall, and was amazed at the flap detail and the handling! Here are some shots that compare whole images, not cut and paste, sit back and just compare the sizes of the wheels and how they "sit"Please ..this is PURELY constructive...this is a fabulous aircraft and Im dying for a good Delta repaint..:)http://www.flightsimmers.net/airport/hornit/pd72.jpghttp://www.flightsimmers.net/airport/hornit/pd721.jpghttp://www.flightsimmers.net/airport/hornit/af72.jpghttp://www.flightsimmers.net/airport/hornit/af721.jpg

Guest BC_KBOS

Yeah, I'm gonna get yelled at, but the wheels are a bit large.Don't get me wrong, 727 wheels are BIG! If you drop one on your foot, it's gonna HURT! The wheels on Mikes bird will REALLY HURT!On a more arcane note, and the reason I'll get yelled at, is the articulation of the gear. (wince...) Mike has the main gear travel forward on retraction and then retract inboard. The detail is awesome, fine work, but, I'm sorry Mike, they're just supposed to swing inboard, no forward crank.At least that's what I remember from the last 727 gear swing I did. You must of broke your posterior making the articulation, sorry...Mike, you knew you were going to get positive critisism, right? Please say you knew that..It's a fine Airplane and you did a hell of a job.I like it anyway.BTW, I click spot view ("S") and the #3 engine shuts down. Had that little snag with a 707 as well. What could be causing THAT? Weird, but it's a good thing I have more than 2 engines, heh heh.BC

Guest BC_KBOS

How about I lay this to rest with a simple solution... When I get to the steel mill today, I'll measure a 727 wheel and post the results tonight. Mike can take it from there.Sounds simple anyway. Really is a great plane!Rgrds,BC

Guest BC_KBOS

And the dimensions are:Main Wheel: 49"D x 17" WNose Wheel: 32"D x 11.5"W (15"W if you include the chines.)I had a thought....could the wheels look a little odd because the airplane seems to sit as if it's empty? Just a thought..Rgrds,BC

Guest flightpro08

This is when you know you have a great aircraft... when the only thing people can find wrong with it is the wheels being a tad too big. :-lolRyan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer

I surrender, I surrender. Just tell me how many lbs of air to let out and I'll do it!Mike StoneOh and I almost forgot. The wheels. Measure the d**n wheels!!!

Mike, I got a good chuckle out of your post...:) Really, when we are nitpicking things like this , you KNOW you have done fine job on the model. Its not that huge a deal but Im guessing reduce the diameter by about 15% or so. I have ben messing around with gmax a bit and have found on several occasions things did not look like I thought they were going to look once you get the model into the sim. I guess its just an aesthetic thing. Also, is there a way to make the hub detail stand out a bit less? You know a bit more grease and dirt on those hard flown boiengs!Hornit

Looks like a "When practical" - Miscellaneous change is need with all stock being ok. Sometimes we only did miscellaneous changes when an urgent change was also needed or a year had expired. ;-)I see no reason to ground or withdraw from service the 727 by Mike Stone. Existing stock at all locations should continue being used. ;-) Very good job!Bob-- Farm the change out. You got better things to give us. ;-)

I'd like to point out an inherent flaw in the idea of using screenshots to overlay real photographs to check the accuracy of aircraft models. This comes from actaul experience in my amateur astronomer/telescope maker days. Photographs can contain endless varieties of distortions depending on the type of camera used to make the photo, the lens type (focal length, etc), angle and distance from the subject, etc, etc. Things like perspective and forshortening can drastically alter the appearance of an object in a photo. If you don't believe me, stick your face 3 ft from a closeup lens and see how you look. Chubby aren't you? Likewise flightsim adds its own distortions depending on the video card, drivers, monitor, etc, etc. There's just no way to do this and get accurate results.Mike Stone

Hey Mike,First, the 727 is really nice. It is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Thanks for providing the community with such high quality freeware.I do have on question about the textures. Is there a way to change the color of the wheels? Not the tires, the wheels. I don't see the wheels on any of the texture bitmaps. On my computer, and in the screen shots I've seen, the wheels have this greenish-blue tint. Is this just my computer? Any ideas? Thanks.