Sign in to follow this  
northridge

737 engine start documentation

I have a feeling that I am going to feel a fool shortly, but I have to ask:Where on earth in the manuals is the procedure for starting the engines?The Normal Procedures pdf goes from asking for start clearance to After Start.I

I'm not sure either but try this (all terms I used can be found in the manual chapter 07_systems_operation_...)first verify this:-parking brake set-engine start levers OFF-throttles set to idlefor starting bleed air configuration (air coming from the APU to spool up the engines):- APU start- APU bleed on- Eng1 and 2 bleed off- isolation valve open or auto- left and right packs off.- check if bleed air pressure indicator L and R are risen.Starting engines:- set L or R engine start switch to GRD (now you should hear the engine spool. If not, you don't have bleed air pressure)- monitor engine N1 rpm: as soon as it passes 20%:- engine start lever up. Engine should spool up- verify engine start switch cuts out by itsselfrepeat last 4 steps for other engine.after start- eng 1 and 2 on busses.- eng1 bleed on- APU bleed off (verify dual bleed inidcation goes off. Dual bleed indication is there to warn you: if you apply more thrust then idle, you can blow your APU)- eng2 bleed on- isolation valve auto- both packs auto- APU offI wrote this down from my memory so I hope it's correct.In real life, some switching order might be different and some more stuff is monitored but this should get the job done.Best Regards,Bert Van Bulck

Guest fencer88

Hi,<<- monitor engine N1 rpm: as soon as it passes 20%:- engine start lever up. Engine should spool up>>it's N2 (not N1)And there quite a few good PMDG 737 checklists available on the web (I use Tim Metzinger's).Kind regards,Bruno

Thank you both. I have several questions regarding my PMDG C&D scenario:1: Gen 1 & 2 and Apu Gen 1 & 2 switches are down - not in the upper Off position: they will click up or down further but come straight back again, but never go into the Off position.and2: Gnd Power switch is On - it won

>Thank you both. >>I have several questions regarding my PMDG C&D scenario:>>1: Gen 1 & 2 and Apu Gen 1 & 2 switches are down - not in the>upper Off position: they will click up or down further but>come straight back again, but never go into the Off position.>and--> if you see the APU power lights go off, that means that the genmerators are on bus = OK.>2: Gnd Power switch is On - it won

Thanks rocketfs for your helpful reply: now I understand why things are that way.Thanks for the link too - I have already printed it out.And it is a fine addon - I don't know why I took so long in flying her.