Sign in to follow this  

Setting up Nvidia Twinview - How to do it.

Since I screwed around for 2 hours with my machine and tech support, I'll pass on the simple trick.The whole idea is...After right clicking on the desktop and choosing "Properties, Settings" you will see 2 Monitor icons....Click on the Monitor 2 icon and then be sure the box for ""Extend My Desktop Onto This Monitor." is UNCHECKED, and apply if necessary. ( I know, doesn't sound logical, and is just the opposite of what you do if you put in a second PCI video card.)Now the elusive "Nview" tab can be accessed.Go to Monitor 1 and "right" click that icon. Choose "Properties, Nview (Tab)".The Nview "tab" then becomes the primary and controlling set-up box for how the monitors function in dual display mode.They do have superior functionality in that system.Bob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 2200+Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card

Bob I have often wondered what you could do with twin view that could not be done with a default 2 monitor setup. I never did pursue as I assumed that these features would consume more memory which I am not readily willing to give up. Unless that is it can offer me something beneficial when using FS. Are you willing to spread a little feature list and what benefit(s) these may offer you in regards to FS?Tks BobBobG

BobI have dual monitor set-up on two machines. One is Twinview, the other is conventional PCI second card and monitor. To be honest there is not much difference.You can set up the twinview to expand the desktop all the way across the two monitors in any direction. In effect the taskbar doubles in size. Unfortunately all programs that place a unmovable window in the center of the desktop, create a mess because the "center" window is broken right in the "crack" of the 2 monitors. Examples are program installers, Windows Startup itself, others. In fact, because of this I went back to using Twinview in the conventional "Windows" mode. (By checking ""Extend My Desktop Onto This Monitor." and turning it off on the "Nview tab". That fixes this problem.The only real feature of Twinview is the nView Desktop Manager, which allow you to set up an unlimited number of desktop configurations across both monitors. These configurations can have loaded or unloaded applications all set up and ready to go, including multiple copies of the same program (where allowed). One can quickly go to any configuration without having to reload programs and data. This works in the "Windows" mode or the "nView" tab mode.I use FS2002 on the computer with the VGA/PCI 2 monitor setup, mainly with FSNavigator.Since the computer with the Twinview setup is new, I've not tested FS2002 there yet. But WinTV (PCI) and Wacom Pen (set for 1 monitor mode/mouse 2 monitor mode)w/Photoshop 7.0, work flawlessly in this setup.My guess is that the second monitor with Twinview will be limited for speed like the standard PCI set-up. I say this because the WINTV running of monitor 2, slows the mouse down on monitor 1, unless you run the picture rather small (about 3" x 2").Regards.. Bob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 2200+Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card

Hi: I use 2 monitors in FS2000. One on top of the other. The top monitor is used for out the window view and I undock and drag athe instrument panel down to the second monitor. The Gauges dont require much memory for the graphics because of the minimal movement so it dosnt take away from the video card. suprcoup93@aol.com

Thanks BobKeep us posted if you discover some got to have features.Appreciate your response to my questions :-)BobG

Hi Bob!I am very interested in using the nView tab instead of using Windows' own dual monitor support because this way you get hardware acceleration on both monitors.When I try your setup, my maximum refresh rate is 75Hz although both of my monitors support higher frequencies. I know that this has nothing to to with WinXP's and Win2k's refreshrate bug, simply because you can't alter nVidias .inf file for those resolution (2304x864 or 2048x768 aren't listed).When I use Windows' own support I am free to choose the refreshrate but by using nView I only have 75Hz. I found a tab where I can set the refreshrate for the second monitor under nView in span mode but when I select any other frequency than 75Hz (even lower) nview switches me back to only one monitor. 75Hz seem to be ok when using Flat Panels but as soon as you use a CRT it hurts your eyes.What's your refreshrate by using nView? I am curious to know if this is a bug or a feature and if there is a workaround.TIA,Boe

My experience and 2 cents...nView with 2 monitors: 1) Allows multiple desktops to be configured making it very easy to switch between setups (different planes in FS2K2 for example)2) Does NOT allow refresh freq. control of 2nd monitor3) Doesn't work well with FSFlightMax (on my machine) - when loaded up FSFlightMax does something with the screen resolution and configures itself. On my machine, the text is way too small to read, no matter how I size the FSFlightMax panelStandard dual-monitor setup (or nVidia's DualView mode): [NOT the same as twinview...can be setup with a registry edit or accessed in Nvidia control panel for 30.30 or later drivers - this essentially lets both ports on your GF4 card be seen as separate displays and as such give you control over refresh freq. and resolution]1) DOES allow separate monitor resolutions and refresh rates2) Should allow D3D HW accel on both monitors...if not (and mine didn't at first), reinstall DirectX...problem solved3) Allows all standard resolution options in FS2K2 setup screen (with TwinView I could only select rez like 2560x960x16 which works fine but I couldn't get any 32-bit options at this rez.There ya go...I like the latter option much better.Gino

Hi Gino!"2) Does NOT allow refresh freq. control of 2nd monitor"Well, does it allow a refreshrate control fo the first monitor? When I enable nView, I cannot select a higher refreshrate of 75Hz, only lower and only on the first monitor. On the second monitor I can only use 75Hz, not higher, not lower. And actually I'd like to use 100 Hz on both monitors in 2304x864x32 mode. I don't understand nView in this point: Under WinXP's own dual monitor support I have 2 times 1152x864x32@100Hz without any problems.Thanks,Boris

Gino....RE:"Standard dual-monitor setup (or nVidia's DualView mode): 1) DOES allow separate monitor resolutions and refresh rates2) Should allow D3D HW accel on both monitors...if not (and mine didn't at first), reinstall DirectX...problem solved3) Allows all standard resolution options in FS2K2 setup screen (with TwinView I could only select rez like 2560x960x16 which works fine but I couldn't get any 32-bit options at this rez.There ya go...I like the latter option much better."Me Too !!!Regards Bob (Lecanto, Fl)

Hmmm, Ttat still doesn't answer my question.Boris

Using TwinView (nView mode), you "should" be able to select refresh rates, but they'll only apply to your primary monitor. My second monitor always defaulted to 60Hz and I couldn't change it. My advice...get PowerStrip. Great utility that allows complete control over your monitor...even create custom resolutions. THis would surely allow you to overide the 75Hz default you're seeing...but with nView TwinView you still won't be able to control the 2nd monitor.My conclusion on this subject is that nView TwinView would work just fine with the same size and spec'd monitors.