Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jake Lee

CAT III landings with MD-11

Guest Jake Lee

Good day all. This might seem like a simple question to answer, but I just want to be 100% sure. I just completed KLAX-EDDF with the QOS and the METAR in Frankfurt was: 110802Z VRB02 0100 ..... so basically, the visibility was terrible! Only 100 meters. Accordingly I did a full autoland and saw the runway lights only on touchdown. (By the way, it has been quite a while since I have done such a landing. Holy crap that was AWESOME!) Anyway, will the MD-11 have similar capabilities (to do a full autoland -- flare and rollout -- in such miserable weather)? Thanks for all the help!- Jake

MD11 certfied to CATIIIb at least, I'm not sure about CATIIIc.CATIIIb means no DH and requirement of 75 meters RVR. In all CATIII autolands flare and rollout guidance is a requirement, so MD11 is of course capable of doing these.//Olli

Jake, these should answer your question. :) I hope so anyways. Sorry for the cropped shots. I tried to shrink them to avsim rules, and you could hardly see the FMA, so I decided to crop them instead. This was extremely quick as I'm getting ready to go to bed, so if you see something that's not set right, you know why.EDIT: Almost forgot. Notice the changes on the FMA as she goes through various parts of the landing. :)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/193160.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/193161.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/193162.jpg

Hi Jake,This is something I have been waiting for too, it is an important aspect of any FS add-on. I asked the same question in the thread "Questions, fire away" and a beta tester did reply he was going to post a few shots but still nothing. I suppose he is very busy. I'm sure the MD-11 performs it beautifully, I hope we get some screen shots soon.EDIT: I don't believe this, those shots were posted before I did:-lol happy landings

>Onur, see, we're even psychic. :-lol:-xxrotflmaoMan, what a coincidence. You really surprised me though, thanks for posting :-beerchug

I can see that "RETARD" appears in the thrust section (left)of the FMA.I presume that means that idle thrust is applied and the throttles are brought to a full-back position. But, here comes the question, has the MD-11 a Retard! Retard! callout like Airbuses have?

>I can see that "RETARD" appears in the thrust section>(left)of the FMA.>>I presume that means that idle thrust is applied and the>throttles are brought to a full-back position. >>But, here comes the question, has the MD-11 a Retard! Retard!>callout like Airbuses have?MD11 doesn't have the retard callout, however, as illustrated ATS has a RETARD mode which pulls back throttles to idle during flare. Even when doing normal manual landing if ATS is engaged.//Olli

Jose Luis,I was curious about that too seeing the thrust mode, I just watched a couple of cockpit videos on FL350, there doesn't seem to be any "Retard Retard" callout.

In a CATIII landing, can the MD-11's computers initiate reverse thrust automatically after touchdown? Or do you still need to do this yourself?Also, in the DC-10 I fly, we turn off thrust reversers at about 60-65 kts. In a CATIII autoland in the MD-11, does it also deactivate the thrust reversers at some point in the rollout?RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>In a CATIII landing, can the MD-11's computers initiate>reverse thrust automatically after touchdown? Or do you still>need to do this yourself?>>Also, in the DC-10 I fly, we turn off thrust reversers at>about 60-65 kts. In a CATIII autoland in the MD-11, does it>also deactivate the thrust reversers at some point in the>rollout?>>RhettReverse thrust must be always operated manually.//Olli

Maybe you guys will be interested in knowing that the MD-11 is certified to do full autoland with one engine out too. The AP even handles one engine out go-arounds if a wing engine is INOP.Markus

Markus Burkhard

Alternatively, takeoff with one engine inoperative is also permitted to ferry the aircraft to a maintenance facility to necessitate repairs.

So concluding these posts, we are talking about CATIIIa and not CATIIIb?So flare, but no roll-out?I would be surprised if the MD-11 had CATIIIb to be honest...Best Regards,Bert.