Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottPilot

GeForce 4 transition problems

Hi everyone!Hope you can help me out with a small problem.I recently transferred my computer "guts" to a new aluminum case and knocked a resistor off of my video card (GeForce 2...FS2k2 worked beautifully with it). I figured this would be a great chance to upgrade, so I got a PNY GeForce 4 MX 440. I installed the latest Detonator drivers for it and everything. The computer runs fine, but FS2k2 won't display reflections even when I select them; also it looks like there's no anti-aliasing. Anyone have a clue what's going on?My computer specs are:ECS K7S5A moboAMD Athlon XP 1700+256mb PC2400 DDR RAMSoundBlaster 16 PCI soundeverything else should be irrelevantThanks!Regards :-waveJonathanReal World PilotComair/JU

Jonathan - Unfortunately, the MX series of cards are not fully DX8 compliant in that they lack the pixel and vertex shading capabilities necessary to produce reflections. As far as I know there is no fix for this problem. If possible, you might want to consider an exchange of the card for a Ti4200 which will give a significant boost in overall performance as compared to the MX. What are the the settings you're using for antialiasing? TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward GF4 Ti4200 300/57030.30's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 12055http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4088814

Thanks Trip!Well, unfortunately my somewhat limited budget doesn't allow for a video card of THAT caliber, so I ordered what I consider to be the next best thing: A GeForce 3 Ti 500. Should this work well?Regards :-waveJonathanReal World PilotComair/JU

I have the same card installed it last weekend and yep the same problem. But we have a rather easy fix (it is a temp fox for now but it works).Once you have FS loaded go to your aircraft menu once it brings up the aircraft selection menu hit ATL + TAB then choose cancel on the aircraft menu and go back into FS2002 and you will have reflections.I found this tip here on Avsim (sorry I forgot who posted the fix but Thanks).I believe the same guy who posted this temp fix said the Nividia is working on a fix for reflections and the water fix.John>Hi everyone! >>Hope you can help me out with a small problem. >>I recently transferred my computer "guts" to a new aluminum >case and knocked a resistor off of my video card (GeForce >2...FS2k2 worked beautifully with it). I figured this would >be a great chance to upgrade, so I got a PNY GeForce 4 MX >440. I installed the latest Detonator drivers for it and >everything. The computer runs fine, but FS2k2 won't display >reflections even when I select them; also it looks like >there's no anti-aliasing. Anyone have a clue what's going >on? >>My computer specs are: >ECS K7S5A mobo >AMD Athlon XP 1700+ >256mb PC2400 DDR RAM >SoundBlaster 16 PCI sound >everything else should be irrelevant >>Thanks! >Regards :-wave >Jonathan >Real World Pilot >Comair/JU

JetLine Systems Gravity GT2-Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit), NZXT H500 Mid-Tower, Black, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 PRO WIFI, LGA 1151, Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900K (5.0GHz Turbo) 8 Core / 16 Thread, Corsair Hydro H60 120mm Liquid Cooling, 32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz RGB, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, GDDR6, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 5.1 Channel Realtek Integrated HD Audio, Primary SSD Drive:1TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD), Secondary SSD Drive:2TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD) 4TB WD Black 7200 RPM Mechanical , SimOn Solutions 737 Professional Compact Trainer (MIP, OH). CFY 737 Max Motorized TQ Gold V3, MSFS2020, ProSim 737. 45" Samsung 4K TV.

Help, please,I have a AMD K6II at 567mhz,: I need fasterI have 256mb RAM,: This is OK.with a 3Dfx Voodoo 3 graphics card,: I need better graphics cuz some textures are all blurryand I have a SoundBlaster sound card: This is OK.What can I upgrade to? Whats the best graphics card anyone here supposes that I can upgrade to with my system spec's. I run FS2002 at MAX SETTINGS, it's not that bad, but I suppose with a new graphic's card I would really enjoy the textures in the Sim a lot more, which would, without a doubt, make FS More addicting, and also allow me to really enjoy add on sceneries, aircraft, etc.--------------Paul Meyerwww.KryptonAir.comwww.LAARTCC.org

Yes, that's a really good card and will do a really good job for you. (Interesting that the Ti500 is now cheaper than the Ti4200. For a long while they were about the same price, Thanks, I've learned something new). Not only will the reflections now work, the performance of the GF3 Ti500 is lightyears ahead of the GF4 MX. Good choice.Trip

Paul - The best you can do in a PCI-based card (directly replace the Voodoo3) is probably the GF4 MX 460. As Jonathan found above, the card has some limitations but it's still the best available for a non-AGP environment. (And it will clear up 95% of the texture problems you now see with the V3.)TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward GF4 Ti4200 300/57030.30's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 12055http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4088814

Thanks for the advice Trip :)--------------Paul Meyerwww.KryptonAir.comwww.LAARTCC.org

Trip and all,Thanks for your help!!! Can't wait until that baby comes in.Regards :-waveJonathanReal World PilotComair/JU

Guest ScottPilot

GF4 MX Card: This procedure worked for me.....First, I now have FULL water motion, water reflections, and aircraft reflections using this procedure! I did turn down my Autogen on the trees to DENSE from Extreamely Dense) and this has solved the 200 foot problem. It must have something to do with available texture memory on my card.Here is what you need to do:1) Start Flight Simulator and go to FULL screen mode (not windowed)2) Once you are at the airport, bring up the aircraft selection box the normal way by pressing the key, then select the "aircraft selection" menu item.3) Once the aircraft selection window appears, press the following key combo - This will bring you back to the windows desktop.4) Now click on the Flight Simultor MINIMIZED icon on the task bar to go back into FS.5) Now press cancel, since you don't need to re-select the aircraft you are going to fly.Now you should have aircraft reflections as well as water reflections and visible water motion (not just the waves.) Of course all the appropriate setting in the display options should be turned on, such as multi-texturing and reflections, ect...This process is working for me! I now am able to see ALL the reflections, water motion, and water reflections!Also, this process only works with one of the default FS aircraft selected during the procedure as far as I can tell. When flying 3rd party airplanes, do the above procedure with one of the default FS airplanes selected first, then you can go back and select the 3rd party aircraft you are going to fly, and you should still have all your reflections and water motion in tact.I know this procedure is kind of a pain, but it does allow us GF4 MX card owners to get all the effects back that FS2K2 has.This is the procedure that I am using and so far, it is working on my system just fine. Below is a screenshot.Hope his helps!Scott My System specs:Intel PIII 1GHZ (Built myself)512MB SDRAMVisiontek Xtasty Geforce 4 MX440 with 64MB DDR RamNvidia 29.42 Windows XP DetonatorXP drivers installedDual 17" Monitors with a 75HZ refresh rate120GB Hard DiskWindows XP ProCH Product Flight Sim Yoke & Rudder pedals USBFS 2002 ProOcean FX Replacement water texturesEd Denny's USA Scenery (2.5GB)