Sign in to follow this  
xender

How much money does an addon company earn?

Hi! First of all, sorry for my bad english.Here is my question.PMDG will release today or tomorrow the new MD11. This MD11 is a 4 years proyect, made with very hard work by an "Small" team.Then, i ask... How much money does an addon company like PMDG earn during the life cycle of a very popular product, like the MD11, or the 747?Estimates will be fine :(Juan RamosFrom the Dominican Republic

Juan Ramos

Hi,It's quite easy. I'd guess upwards of 1,000 units for this kind of thing (worldwide, when it is sold in stores), so take a price of say $75 x 1000 = $75,000.If it goes well, then maybe 2000 units? $150,000.You've got to split this up over the dev team though, so I think you could probably work it out. :)It's worth their time producing it, anyway. ;)Best regards,Robin.

Guest Callmecapt

Getting financial information from PMDG will literally be like getting blood from a stone.Goran

I don't wanna know it, it's absolutely not my business !PMDG team, don't tell it to anyone, it's only your case and no-one else.This question has nothing to do with flightsim, add-on or anything else.=> Always too less for such great PMDG aircrafts.PeterFlightsimulator is not a simulation, it's a way of life ....

Guest AV

Just wait for PMDG's IPO (I suspect this will happen by the time we get to FS version 15) and all will be revealed!

>I don't wanna know it, it's absolutely not my business !>PMDG team, don't tell it to anyone, it's only your case and>no-one else.>This question has nothing to do with flightsim, add-on or>anything else.>>=> Always too less for such great PMDG aircrafts.>>Peter>>>>Flightsimulator is not a simulation, it's a way of life ....Don't read this thread then!Graham

Why shouldn't I ? No further comments ...PeterFlightsimulator is not a simulation, it's a way of life ....

>Why shouldn't I ? No further comments ...>>Peter>>>Flightsimulator is not a simulation, it's a way of life ....Well reading this thread could give you information that you yourself state is none of your business and the more you read this thread the more chance you could have of finding that out.Makes more sense to me for you not to read it like I do with threads with titles I am not interested in!Graham

>Hi,>>It's quite easy. I'd guess upwards of 1,000 units for this>kind of thing (worldwide, when it is sold in stores), so take>a price of say $75 x 1000 = $75,000.>>If it goes well, then maybe 2000 units? $150,000.>>You've got to split this up over the dev team though, so I>think you could probably work it out. :)>>It's worth their time producing it, anyway. ;)>>Best regards,>Robin.But before you can even think of splitting this money up the company will have to pay tax. Then once the money is split up over the Dev team they may, or may not, have to pay tax on this income.Overall there's probably not a great deal of money to be made in this business. On the other hand, I may be completely wrong and hope that they make a fortune on this stuff. Good luck to them :-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest NoobPilot

I just have one question. You don't do this full-time, do you? Because judging by your work, you have no other job.

I don't really feel that it's fair to ask this questions as it's not our business. Ask yourself this...Does the PMDG team ask all of us here on the forum how much we make and since we make enough to buy the MD-11 why some of us may not have? The answer is obviously no. It's not their business how much we make and it's not our business how much they make.However, I will try to be a team player and answer your question in some form. The answer is not a very easy one. There are so many factors such as how popular the add-on company is and how good is the product they publish. PMDG is obviously one of the top if not the top at this point. What I'm really getting at is sales/units. If the software is good then they will sell a lot of units. The next thing to think of is how many people worldwide own FS9 and FSX. I'm sure that number is in the millions. Most games sell a couple million copies and I doubt FS is one that doesn't. Now not every simmer knows about PMDG and they just fly the default aircraft provided in FS. Let's say maybe about 1/2 of the people who own FS know about these add-ons and maybe 1/2 of those people will buy the add-on. Doing some simple math (since you know the cost of the product) will tell you that a good developer like PMDG will probably not need to have another day job as they are making enough money to put food on the table with their simulation endeavors.

I don't really feel that it's fair to ask this questions as it's not our business. Ask yourself this...Does the PMDG team ask all of us here on the forum how much we make and since we make enough to buy the MD-11 why some of us may not have? The answer is obviously no. It's not their business how much we make and it's not our business how much they make.However, I will try to be a team player and answer your question in some form. The answer is not a very easy one. There are so many factors such as how popular the add-on company is and how good is the product they publish. PMDG is obviously one of the top if not the top at this point. What I'm really getting at is sales/units. If the software is good then they will sell a lot of units. The next thing to think of is how many people worldwide own FS9 and FSX. I'm sure that number is in the millions. Most games sell a couple million copies and I doubt FS is one that doesn't. Now not every simmer knows about PMDG and they just fly the default aircraft provided in FS. Let's say maybe about 1/2 of the people who own FS know about these add-ons and maybe 1/2 of those people will buy the add-on. Doing some simple math (since you know the cost of the product) will tell you that a good developer like PMDG will probably not need to have another day job as they are making enough money to put food on the table with their simulation endeavors.Regards,Chad

Hi guys!Im not asking PMDG numbers. they will not tell and is not a good question to ask them.Im talking about an estimate, not even with PMDG, but with any other company. For example Level-d, or any other company. don't tie this question with pmdg.For example, let's talk about the company that i don't have :(, named "Crownwell Aeronautics Simulations" ... If my company make a really good 777 that match the quality of the PMDG 747, and i set the price to 40 USD, do you think that i can make 200,000?? or it is too much money even for a good plane?Juan RamosFrom Dominican Republic

Juan Ramos