Sign in to follow this  
DLP084

CAWS: "Speedbrake" aural alert included?

Hi, I want to know if this alert is simulated when speedbrakes and flaps are exteded at the same time. Don't mix it up with the "spoilers" TOCWS warning. This callout is not specifical mentioned either in the PMDG FCOM or the real world FCOM, but I know that the MD-82 has this one. Jan-Paul

Jan-Paul.Im the world worst sim pilot and I haven't got close to using the plane as it's designed to be used but I'm pretty sure that alert is not used on the MD-11 RW or PMDG version.

indeed there's no aural "speedbrake" alert on the MD11. In the case mentioned there's just a level 2 alert on the EAD.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Hi,MD-11 Systems Manual - Page: FLT.40.2Amber Alerts (Level 1)RETRACT SPD BRK (CONFIG) - Speed brakes and flaps are extended in flight.I'm guessing (hoping?) that if it is listed in the manual, it is simulated. I note that the weather RADAR has [ NOT SIMULATED ] written next to it, but I haven't found anything else that does. :DBest regards,Robin.

>> thanks for the fast answers. I'm sat here waiting for release!! :D :-lol I really have nothing better to do!! :-lolBest regards,Robin.

>I'm guessing (hoping?) that if it is listed in the manual, it>is simulated. Yes it is, but no aural alert as per the real aircraft.The other way around is nice as well... You are at flaps 15 and want to extend speedbrakes. In this case the lever is blocked mechanically. When you press the speedbrake key or click with your mouse you will hear some mechanical noise, as if you were in the real aircraft trying to move a mechanically locked lever... nice touch :)Markus

Markus Burkhard

Hi,Nice!!! :DDoes the CAWS have any spoken alerts (FLAPS, GEAR, etc) in addition to the horn? I always thought this set the MD aircraft apart from any other. I love that system.What about engine fire - does it say "FIRE LEFT ENGINE" (or similar) etc..?Best regards,Robin.

@Robert, watch the video from PMDG at youtube, then you will hear the fire alerts(spoken of course):

Here is a nice video from the canrasie approch 13L at jfk with the AA md-11: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EQ9-m-nuPIIt sounds different like the voice on the most md-11 videos, maybe it is the person in the next video althoug she stated that she is not on the md-11. Maybe a company option of AA? Here is a video of the person behind the voice "######in Betty":
"I am on 4 aircraft models: 717, MD-10, C-17, C-130" Jan-Paul

Guest rellehenk

And can we disable those voice warnings as KLM is not using them?

Guest adc10withwinglets91

I don't know about CAWS voice options but it could either be an option on the MD-11, a later build MD-11 (last passenger version built 1998) or otherwise it could be the MD-10 conversion of the DC-10 (notice on the approach video that the middle landing gear light is placarded blank, absent on the MD-10/DC-10), in which the video could be a FedEx MD-10 video mislabeled as an American Airlines MD-11 (the last AA MD-11 flown is in 2001, mostly sold to FedEx).

Hi, then the aircraft in the video must be a MD-10 from Fedex (or did AA have MD-10). Just browsed throug the comments and found a statement from Betty: 717Voice: "Just wanted to let BigBearVids know that I'm the "voice" of the cockpit ("B*betty"). I've with Boeing for 21 years and I am on 4, make that 5, planes. I didn't realize I was on the MD-11. I'm on the 717, MD-10, C-17 and C-130. I wonder how I got on MD-11?"Jan-Paul