Sign in to follow this  
midcon385

MD-11 System Requirements

I thought I'd throw my experience with the MD-11 overnight.I'm on a laptop with the following specs:E6700 2.66 ghz3 GB ram8600m GT 512mbVista Ultimate 32FSX AccelerationI honestly cannot believe how awesome this plane turned out. On top of that, it has significantly better performance than the 747X. I compare it to the performance I get with the Level-D 767. At times it was even better than it. In the following situations, my FPS is always locked to 35.External view on the ground was 30, in the air 35.VC on the ground was 20-25, in the air 25-30.2D panel on the ground was 25-30, in the air, 35.Just a note, this was on the tutorial flight and I have Ultimate Terrain Europe installed.The MD-11 is THE jet to bring FSX above FS9 in commercial aviation.Again, this thing is just remarkable. I can't wait to see how she does on my new quad core that I'll be building in the next month or so.Incredible job PMDG team. You've really done it this time.William M.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

William,Thanks for sharing your very positive experience with the MD11.One question though:>The MD-11 is THE jet to bring FSX above FS9 in commercial>aviation.Why's that? Does the FSX version have any significant features the FS9 version will not have?I'm asking as I'm a typical example of a heavy metal pilot with tones of addons resisting to switch over to FSX.Best regards,Rafal

Simply because it is the best jet addon to date (imho) and the performance it gives. The biggest reason people aren't using FSX seems to be performance. My laptop did not stutter even once during the tutorial flight.William

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Sam,>First, you - Must - set the 3G switch for that 32bit op>system. 4Gs of ram and a non-switched 32bit system will OOM in>a heartbeat (Or just go to Vista 64).>++I thought SP2 took care of that problem by defaul? Vista 64 is not currently an option as the software used for the primary system use is not Vista 64 bit compatible (yet).>>No DX10 preview to start. Mine won't even run with DX10. Then>turn down the FSX settings 'til things get stabilized. Mine>crashes in high-slider/low frame rate environments. ++DX10 preview not used, as you say it makes things worse!!>>Looks like yur a clocker. A 400Mhz FSB is plenty. Get your CPU>clock with the multi. Then, if you have that ram cranked out,>crank it back in to "only" 2:1 and default timings. Ram>running at 1600Mhz with default timings is plenty. ++No overclocking - all settings are at default. System was designed to have horsepower without needing steroids too. >>As far as I know, you are the beta for SLI. If all else fails,>break the SLI. Crysis needs it, but it won't help FS. ++Not sure what breaking the SLI is going to do for all the other work that this machine is used for. Oh and a Beta too, wonderful.... ;o) Right, slow taxi trials first then...I will play around with the settings to see what works and let you know.Rick

Guest D17S

The OOM problem really takes hold when a user has 4Gs of physical ram with a 32bit system. The op system keeps a "notepad" predicting future ram usage. If a user only has 2Gs on board, the prediction will be less likely to schedule greater than 2Gs (but not always. This op system function is dumb as a rock!)Just FYI, page file size will Not lead to OOMs. It's this prediction "notepad" thing that does it. Your poor frames are because of your CPU's clock. Using the pagefile won't hurt FPS rates, it will just cause scenery fuzzies.With a 32bit system and only 2Gs of physical ram, you will be relatively safe from OOMs . . . however with this big MD11 airplane (even in FS9) you might become more vulnerable. You're kinda trapped in a technology "rock v hard spot." http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3034&p=4I don't like that 3G switch either. The best bet is to go with Vista 64. That will solve the OOM problem.

Guest D17S

SP2 only allows the FSX.exe program to use > 2Gs - if the op system is ALSO enabled to allot > 2Gs to that program - . Make sure the Op System's 3G switch is AlSo, in fact, enabled. It's your only hope. . . . cuz the other OOM solution is to - Remove - 2Gs of ram.That's really a monster box, but these huge programs and big systems are pushing the edge of these puny 32bit op systems. The Vcard memory is also observed by this OOM talley sheet. That's potentially another 2Gs of Vmemory this little 2G memory talley sheet column will have to find room for . . . and there may be not enough room, even at 3GS. . . or even at 4Gs. Between a lecherous FSX and a randy MD11, this could be big trouble! I actually OOM'd my 64bit system at 4.1Gs with the 744 and a 512M Vcard. It was a science project and I had to really work at it, but here we are. You may just be giving this couple too much (hardware) love.

I'm really sorry but all this talk of huge increases in hardware capabilities just to run this MD-11 is plain crazy. I don't mean to be disrespectable to the PMDG folks but having to go to 64-bit OS, very expensive RAM solutions, expensive graphics cards, and 3Gb switch hacks is not the way to put across to the user community a wonderfully designed aircraft that won't work on anything short of a desktop Cray.Having to adopt a 64-bit OS brings on so many problems - drivers, software, communications, and the like. We're already running up hill with FSX and now you want us to purchase an addon that a high-end system won't run. This will be a configuration nightmare.I don't know how much more complex the MD-11 is over the B744 but PMDG efforts on the development of the Boeing managed to deliver a complex aircraft that will run successfully under Vista and FSX.I'm sorry, but I'm disappointed. I just spent over 200USD for the aircraft and documentation and now I have a problem I can't solve without huge outlays for a new system - just to fly one aircraft.Frank

Guest D17S

Yea, your right. This is a real clumsy time to be trying to push the state of the (software) art . . . but here we are. The real stumbling block is this darn 32 > 64 bit operating system transition we are butt-up against. This airplane had 2 choices. Dumb it down to run on any 32bit system, or run on the edge of a 32bit operation system. It didn't get dumbed down. The hardware needed to run this airplane is actually ExTremely modest. Check this out: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...tNumber=7159746This essentially my system. For 800 stick set and a $100 8800GT. That's It. It doesn't take big money to do this . . . only smart money. So whats ya got now? Bet we can get you there cheap. This is not a transition for a PMDG MD11. This is a transition for the "forever after" (that is until we hit the 64bit's 16TB barrier!).

Frank,With respect.I have a very old AXP2600+ system, X800XT Radeon on top of old WinXP 32. I can run the MD-11 very well, with FSX display settings tuned to low, mid-low settings. FPS is locket at 30FPS, and I am getting around 25-30fps all the time.The MD-11 is easier on the resources than the 744. If you can run the 744, you can run the MD-11.rgds,Tero

PPL(A)

Tero,I respect your position. However, you are comparing apples to oranges. MS XP is a different OS from Vista. In my opinion you can't compare how the aircraft runs under XP with attempts to run it under Vista.If PMDG optimized this product under XP then it is possible some problems fell through the crack - for me one of them being able to successfully fly the aircraft (or at least taxi to the active). On my system the product crashes. I fly many aircraft without problems. I shouldn't have to dial all settings back to zero just to fly this one product.Frank

Guest D17S

If the system is normally crashing with just this addon, one might consider this addon has finally taken XPs capability one step over the line. The expanding requirements of these incrementally more demanding programs will not stop with the PMDG fleet-set. You ain't seen nothin' yet. 64bit system can use up to 16 tera bits of memory. However when this wall is hit, the user's experience will be as if a switch was thrown. A previous set of usages may have been just on the edge of the op system's capability. There is no gradual degradation in performance. No warning. When that line is crossed, the switch will be tripped and the lights will not dim. They will extinguish.For instance, I run a monitoring program called Process Explorer. (Google it, get it.) This monitors VS (virtual space). This is that OOM stuff. I run very high settings and every flight with the MD11 is above a 32bit's 2G limit. Every fight I have Ever flown with the MD would have resulted in a system crash with a non switched, 32 bit op system. With these same settings, the PMDG 744 hugs this barrier much tighter. Sometimes above, sometimes below. The 64bit system allows these program requirements to occur and Me to still fly the airplane. With out process manager running, this dymanic would be entirely transparent, re, running or crashing. I'd strongly recommend the switch to Vista 64. Really, it's a matter of 'pay me now, or pay me later.' The inflection point is coming. Being out in front can provide some great bennies like operating an MD11 from a desktop computer. There on the other hand it can be a Real PITA ~ ! Ahhh, the life of a serious computer user.

Guest Mower

It's an urban legend that Vista 64 is problematic for drivers and games. I have been on it since last fall with my latest system build. No troubles worth mentioning and NO issues whatsoever with FSX, including the infamous OOM errors.

>every flight with the MD11 is above a 32bit's 2G limit. Every>fight I have Ever flown with the MD would have resulted in a>system crash with a non switched, 32 bit op system.Sam,Sorry to jump on the topic again but does that mean there's no use for me buying the FS9 version of MD-11? Providing I DO NOT want to do the 3GB switch.If I can read your above words well it is a pity since I upgraded to my present PC just three months ago thinking also about the MD-11.I care a lot about your answer.60 euro is quite a lot to me at the moment.And on the other hand I'm so keen on buying this beauty. :)In some posts here in the Forum people say MD-11 is surprisingly good in performance.Even better than the 747-400.But the above quotation of yours makes me really confused.Or maybe it's only about the FSX version?Thanks in advance.Best regards,RafalFS9.1Windows XP Home SP3 32bitIntel Core 2 DuoE8400 3GHzNVIDIA GeForce 8800GT2GB RAM

@ Sam "a randy MD-11" LMFAO thats great!I am running Vista64 w/sp1 - Q6600 @ 3.0 - Nvidia 9600GT - 4gigs ram and this ac runs awesome! I flew the tutorial last night and was getting 18-22 fps on final into FSDream Zurich w/ med -med high sliders in VC using Track IR. You are going to have to get a 64bit system eventually to keep up with the gaming/sim industry.WillyPS. best addon ever

>Robin,>>Hahaha, this comment made my day :).>>Glad you are enjoying it, so am I! (but in 2D until I get a>new rig)>Are you btw using TrackIR with it?>>TeroHey Tero,There was some mention of a Level D Sim 757 but have not heard of it being in Beta. Thanks for the info.... looking forward to it. Have the other 757 for FSX and am loving it (loving the PMDG MD11 too guys :-)) looking forward to hearing more about it.

\Robert Hamlich/