Sign in to follow this  
fbass

MD-11 Out of Memory

I successfully installed the new MD-11 and it really looked fantastic. Unfortunately my system ran out of memory before I was able to do anything. At least I got to see the exterior and a few seconds of the cockpit. After that, my system crashed.My next action is to restart my system to see if that helps.fbSystemIntel Q6700 Core 2 CPU 2.66GHz (not overclocked)EVGA NForce 680i LT MOBOEVGA 8800 Ultra graphics card (not overclocked)4Gb RAM (not running 3Gb switch)Liquid cooling by ThermaltakeGoFlight modulesOS - Vista 32-bit

fb-(please sign your posts with a name, we require this in this forum, thanks!)You appear to have sufficient machinery to run this simulation very well without problems.The issue may change depending upon what else you have running, what type of scenery you have installed, and whether your graphics drivers are up to date.You may also want to consider the /3Gb switch- as this does dramatically enhance the stability of FSX when running "heavy" addons such as the PMDG MD-11.We have a section in the introduction to help you with various tuning suggestions also.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Robert,Sorry, just a clarification. Can we run the 3G switch when we use Vista 32 as OS?I had the idea that this switch was for WinXP only. Could you please clarify?Congratulations for the MD-11 release! Will buy it tonight!RegardsEdmundo

Edmundo Azevedo

Edmundo,You beat me to the same question. All the hints and tips refer to Win XP and not Vista 32.The commands used and directories may well be very different and the unwary could have a disaster on their hands - or get very confused.I also thought that SP2 fixed this by default, but I may have misread something.Rick

Thanks for your response. Restarting my system did not address the problem. I was able to run the aircraft a little longer - started to taxi - before the system crashed.I don't think there is anything defficient about my system or what packages I run under FSX. I routinely fly the PMDG 744 without a problem.I'm running the newest NVidia driver for my card (178.13). My Vista installation is up-to-date. As for the 3Gb switch - I'm not completely sold on this device under Vista to help FSX.This aircraft is a superior product. However, if it will not run on a high-end system like mine then, in my opinion, there may need to be more work optimizing the product.Just a thought.Frank Bass

Guest D17S

Nahh, it's just this "messy transition" Anand has been warning about for over a year now. http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3034&p=4Personally, I just went with a 64bit system last time. All of the 32bit op systems that are running > 2Gs of ram will be EsPeciaLLy vulnerable. The solution is to go to Vista 64. However . . . For the 32bit'rs, the 3G switch is their only real hope, but I've never really messed with it. I do know however, that it is available for Vista 32 too. Ryan? Maybe a cut-and-paste or a sticky instruction for that mod would be helpful. This is gonna be coming up A Lot.

>> OS - Vista 32-bitThat is your problem. Get a 64-bit OS. The /3Gb switch is a hack.Best regards,Robin.

Hi folks,I haven't buy this plane yet (waiting for FS2004 version), but I'm beginning to worry a lot while reading this. How is the virtual memory performance of MD11 under FS2004 situation?Let me put it this way - if I have no problems with PMDG747 in FS2004 regarding virtual memory OOM issues (WinXP-SP3 and no 3gb patch), should I have these issues with MD11?Transition to Vista-64 is not about money, it's about changing EVERYTHING (including sceneries, other planes etc). I'm not even talking about tweaking and compatibility issues. It's mess, total LIFE-OFF mode for 4 weeks at least. Don't wanna do this until FSX will be mature enough.ThanksDmitriy

Dimitry:I cant vouch for the FS9 version, but if you can run the 744 well, then it is a safe bet that the MD11 will run fine, if not even better. It is a well optimised aircraft.CheersPaul

I have the same concerns. Vista 64 brings too many of it's own problems, and not just with FSX, so it is not an option in reality. It affect other areas like printers, cameras, editing systems, servers, NAS and other devices on the LAN here.I am beginning to suspect and fear that I may just have to retire the MD-11 immediately until the next system is built unless I can find something that makes FSX stable and not by turning everything else down to the minimum settings, or by de-stabilising the background hardware.It seems daft that a go faster system still cannot run FSX properly - ok it wasn't built for FSX but even so.....I'll see how it copes with the MD11 in FS9.1 - which runs the PMDG 744 just fine.I'll be tweaking the FSX settings later to see what works. This product looks and sounds great but the hardware/OS keeps faulting when it's run.......grrrrrrrrrrrRick

Paul,I appreciate your viewpoint but your logic may be faulty. Just because one aircraft works well does not mean another one will. On my system (Vista 32-bit) the B744 works effectively. The MD-11 crashes FSX to the desktop.Frank

Guest AV

>I also thought that SP2 fixed this by default, but I may have>misread something.SP2 allowed FSX to recognize the 3GB switch, I don't think it actually fixed the problem.I'm a WinXP user with FSX/Acceleration and with the switch I have no OOM errors with the MD-11. Before using the switch I would have OOM in dense urban areas.Unforunately Flight Simulator is reaching that point where 32bit computing is just not enough. FSX's memory needs are truly gargantuan, let's hope MS either does a total refresh where FS does more with less, or they insist on 64bit for the next version.

Paul,Did you monitor VM usage under similar condintions (sets of clouds, scenries, other addons, weather, clouds) with 747 and MD11? If not, so your statement a bit in rush.747 uses ~1.1-1.2GB in the air and up to 1.5GB on the ground at FSDT KJFK with 100% real traffic. It works good, no problems. Once it goes beyond 1.8GB, OOM happens. If MD11 at the same level of VM usage as 747 or lower, it's fine - I'll buy it. In case if it's more - most of FS2004 potential users should think twice before the purchase, especially those folks who use complex sceneries, UT addons, traffic, ASV, FE/GE etc.BTW - That's why I want trial mode very badly.Dmitriy

Hi Frank:A fair point. My point was that the large percentage of users are seemingly finding that the MD11 runs as well as, if not better, than the 744.That does not, of course, solve your problem, but such is the way with things. While my statement was indeed a gross generalisation, i do stand by it. :-)Now, to getting your problem fixed. It seems that the 3Gb patch is going to have to be the way forwards.CheersPaul

Dmitriy:A fair statement, but in relation to the question that you have asked, a purely subjective response is all that can be given.The fact of the matter is that yes, what works well on my system, might well not work at all on yours. Hence i cannot say to you with 100% certainty that the MD11 will run on your machine.However, having read the majority of the posts relating to the MD11 over the past weeks, and having had detailed conversations with a couple of the beta testers (who i will admit to being a little biased) about whether or not it was going to be worth me getting the FSX or FS9 version, the general concencus is that the MD11 runs better on the whole than the 744. While i appreciate that that is not even a slightly technical approach, without being able to test it on your system, i cannot tell you whether or not it will run like a prize stallion, or a donkey!You have a valid point about being able to test the aircraft in a demo mode, but given the massive increase in software piracy, i wouldnt blame any developer for refusing to do so.Cheers :)Paul