Sign in to follow this  
ahaka

MD-11, a great product, but I have a strange small problem

Hello,First of all, the simulation is absolutely beautiful. :) Thank you for that and congratulations to the team!I have a small problem and I thought I'd post it here in case of PMDG team knows about it or if any other user is experiencing it.When I try to set the keyboard commands in the PMDG menu, it does not register any of the alphanumeric key presses, and only accepts keys like CTRL, TAB, Shift.I've tried restarting my system and even changing a keyboard, but the problem persists. The key presses work normally in any other application.The reason this is important to me is that without it, I cant set the autopilot/autothrottle disconnect switches to my flight controls.Any advice would be appreciated :)

Antti:I'm not sure why you're having a problem mapping the key strokes. For example, I use "f" for the Auto-Flight button, "c" for the MCDU and 'o" for the overhead pop-up- they all work flawlessly. What happens when you select a key or key combination?Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | NaturalPoint TrackIR Pro | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | PFC Jetliner Yoke and Pedals | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Carl,When I go to the PMDG key commands menu, and I try to set any function to a key press, (lets say I want it to be CTRL+Shift+J), and then I press CTRL, I press Shift and then when I press J it puts nothing there, and leaves the value as CTRL+Shift only.If try to only set the value as j, it will not register that value at all.The problem happens with any alphanumeric keys.

Antti,Check that you have not set the MCDU keyboard captioning functionality on when assigning keyboard commands through the PMDG menu. This would explain your situation.Be also aware that in addition to the PMDG menu commands we have allowed for several FS keyboard commands to work with the MD-11. See the Intoduction document for a full list. For example, you can use "Z" (the default FS command for autopilot) for the AP disengage switch. The advantage is that this way you can assign shortcuts to any joystick/yoke switch through the FS menu.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Michael,Thank you for the reply.The MCDU keyboard captioning is off. Still I cant set any aplhanumerics in the keyboard commands menu.I can set the autopilot disconnect switch, since its linked to the "Z" command, but I didnt find there is a key combination for the ATS disconnect switch. So I would still need to set the key for that myself.I wonder what is wrong since the keyboard works fine with everything else. Also with the MCDU the keyboard works fine, just not with the keyboard commands menu.

Would like to update that I'm still experiencing this problem.Playing with the PMDG key commands menu seems to occasionally mess up my whole keyboard so that I lose all keys (in whole WinXP), and the J key becomes down arrow. Closing FSX seems to restore the keys, so it really seems to be something with the PMDG keys menu on my system.I'm puzzled. If anyone has any ideas, please help.

UPDATE:The problem was the latest Norton Antivirus 2009!Uninstalling it made the problem go away. I have no idea though how it could cause it.PMDG can put this info down in case someone else experiences a similar problem.

Hi there,norton antivir! Well, you better should use Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 or just Avira. Norton is good for Server/Network use, but not for PCs at all!>UPDATE:>>The problem was the latest Norton Antivirus 2009!>>Uninstalling it made the problem go away. I have no idea>though how it could cause it.>>PMDG can put this info down in case someone else experiences a>similar problem._______________________Regards, Torben HadlerBeta-Tester ACLoader 3 + 4http://www.fsflightdeck.com/acloader.htmlT-A-H MultiMedia Productions Torben Hadler - http://www.t-a-h.com || t-a-h@t-a-h.comHardware: CPU: AMD 64 X2 Socket 939 3600 @ x2 2Ghz | MoBo: MSI K8N Neo2 64 | RAM: 2048MB 400MHz DDR | NVIDIA GF7600 | Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 5.1Ch | CH-YOKE + Peddals; Primary: 17" Belinea TFT * Secondary: Philips 150S4 TFT 15" || Software: Display Resolution used: 1280x1024 in WinXP and FS9.1 | WinXP Pro SP1b (German Version); DX9c | FS9.1 pro (German Versions) - all sliders maxed about 85-95% | ever latest FSUIPC licenced | ASv6 | Alert!! pro | UT 2004 | RC4.x | FSBuild 2 | ACLoader 4.x and much more...