Sign in to follow this  
DLP084

Click at the end of some CAWS Callouts

Hi, there are some "click" sounds in the middle or at the end of some wave files, could you please correct that for the fs9 release. PMDG_MD11_Altitude.wav PMDG_MD11_APDisconnect.wavPMDG_MD11_Radio1000.wavPMDG_MD11_PullUp.wavPMDG_MD11_GlideslopeHard.wavPMDG_MD11_GlideslopeSoft.wavPMDG_MD11_DontSink.wavPMDG_MD11_TCAS_Traffic1.wavPMDG_MD11_TCAS_Traffic2.wavPMDG_MD11_TCAS_DesCrossingDes.wavPMDG_MD11_TCAS_Descend.wavPMDG_MD11_TCAS_MaintainVS.wavPMDG_MD11_TCAS_MaintainVSCrossing.wavJan-Paul

I hadn't noticed! Are you sure it isn't your sound hardware?Best regards,Robin.

you may motice them in the sim when you listen carefully, but I made the tests with the files in Media Player to filter them out. Soundcard is Audigy 2. Take the PMDG_MD11_Radio1000.wav for example, this is one where you hear the click at the end very clear. Jan-Paul

Jan-Paul,The default volume playback of FSX is 50 which is very low - this means that we had to artificially raise the volumes of files much louder than would normally be acceptable to make them sound loud enough inside FS - hence if you play back the files outside FS you may notice some small sound issues with individual files.But inside FS you will not notice these minor issues as they blend in with all the other sounds. So there is no need to modify these sounds in any way - it is only an issue if you noticed them inside FS!I recommend you do not edit the files in anyway as it is likely you will change the volume balance of the files in relation to other sounds.Cheers,Armen L Cholakianhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/priv/img/forum/sig_pmdg.jpg

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Hi, you will also notice that click at standard sound settings in fs. For identifying those clicks, I use the media player. If it is possible I would like to see this fixed. Jan-Paul

I am running a fairly good sound system on my PC and I have not noticed this issue. I will check again, but I wouldn't assume this is a "bug".

Hi, I have made a screenshot of the click sound with audacity: for example the 1000ft calloutclicksoundbl7.jpgAP_Disconnect: clickapfl9.jpgAnd here how it should look like without click, the 500ft callout as example: clicknohc5.jpgJan-Paul

Guest ryanxx123

This is slightly ot, but have you noticed that there isn't any click sound when rotating the transponder/TCAS knob on aft pedestal (from STBY to RA/TA for example).... if there even should be such?//Chris

>This is slightly ot, but have you noticed that there isn't>any click sound when rotating the transponder/TCAS knob on aft>pedestal (from STBY to RA/TA for example)..>>.. if there even should be such?Chris,not all rotary switches have a sound to them when used, the transponder mode selector is one of them. Others might have one but with all the fans and wind around you you will just not hear it at all.This is carefully reproduced with the PMDG MD-11.Markus

Markus Burkhard

Hi Jan-Paul,Thanks for going to all this trouble to post the screenshots and your observations! ... but the items you are talking about are not clicks or an unexpected error.PMDG_MD11_Radio1000.wavThe item you have circled is part of the callout itself, it is not a digital click at all, it is the actual waveform for the "D" in the callout. As a test, delete this part of the file and you will hear the callout does not have an end anymore! (backup the file first)PMDG_MD11_APDisconnect.wavThis is the same as the 1st one, the circled part is the "T" in the callout. Again, delete this part and the end of the callout is gone.The first thing to mention is that you cant judge a wavefile by how it looks in a wave editor, you judge it by how it "sounds", and most importantly how it sounds in FSX!!! :) Also, I can see no errors with any of the files in your screenshots - clicks and digital errors would appear differently than what you can see in the screenshots. Everything looks normal.Some of the complex audio processing which has been executed on these files make the waveforms look strange and unexpected - just as you noticed! :) The files you mention have been through seven stages of audio processing and restoration, which definately explains why the 1000 callout looks like that at the end - previously the recording of this callout was immersed in a high pitch hiss sound and a thumping bass rumbling from the equipment and machinery of the ground simulator where Markus recorded these sounds. The audio processing techniques to remove these unwanted background sounds made the waveform look exactly like it is now.The most important thing is how the files sound in FSX and not in windows media player or a wave editor. Its ONLY in FSX they do themselves justice and only in FSX that they should be judged!Thanks for investigating but I cant hear anything wrong with the sounds in FSX.Cheers,Armen L Cholakianhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/priv/img/forum/sig_pmdg.jpg

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

"PMDG_MD11_Radio1000.wavThe item you have circled is part of the callout itself, it is not a digital click at all, it is the actual waveform for the "D" in the callout. As a test, delete this part of the file and you will hear the callout does not have an end anymore! (backup the file first)"Directly after the "D" follows a click, which is not present at the other altitude callouts. Jan-Paul