Sign in to follow this  
Guest juraj

2D Panel problem

Guest juraj

Hello everybody,A fresh MD11 owner experiencing first bump on the road on the way to victory. Noticed so far, in 2D cockpit captain's view all the panels are black (PFD, ND, SD..). If I click on them, the enlarged version displays lit up and ok, and the panels are also on in virtual cockpit view. Also the marks that are supposed to be on the clickspots (the little icons mentioned in the tutorial) are missing. Also, the knobs to set the FMS SPD, heading, altitude and VS are missing (there is only a "smear of dirt" across them. When clicked on they work though. The OS is Vista Ultimate 64bit, 8000GTX and 4GB of RAM, and the latest and greatest graphic drivers. The PMDG747 looks and runs just fine.(sad facial expression). Anyone know what might be the problem?*EDIT* I also tried to reinstall, didn't hurt or help.

A few questions to help me identify the problem:1. In the FS menu bar, do you have a PMDG entry under the "Add Ons" menu? (if not, no need to answer the remaining questions)2. Are the enlarged versions of the DUs (and the ones in the VC) working, i.e. if you move the aircraft do you see the speed change, etc? 3. Once you bring up the enlarged version of a DU, if you click again to close it will the normal version draw, or is it still black?4. The SPD, HDG, ALT knobs, will they appear after you click on them or not?

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Guest juraj

Hi Michael,that would be Yes, Yes, Still black and No. The "minipanels" above the SPD, HDG and ALT knobs are black too.I should mention that when I just randomly took off (no setup, just flaps and full throttle) in outside view, when I changed the view in the 2D again in-air the panels started to work (just those four, the knobs were still gone and other issues were still present). I haven't been able to reproduce it again though.

Sounds like it could be an authentication issue, did you try de-installing and re-installing?

Guest juraj

Hi George,I believe I mentioned that, yes, I did.However, the very first time I just ran the setup as a "monkey user", and the installation complained at the end "not enough privileges, run as admin, etc etc". So I re-ran as admin, installed, saw black panels, uninstalled, reinstalled as admin and saw black panels again.However, at the end of the installation, where it warns me "You must install the following c++ redistributable file", I got actually the option to "uninstall" or "repair". Could this be related to the problem? Thanks!

Sorry I missed your edit.Yes looks like it could be a corrupted install. I recommend loging in as admin, de-install MD11. Delete the FSX .xml file, ensure all MD11 files are deleted out of the PMDG folder, reboot and then re-install as an admin.

Guest juraj

OK, I'll try that tomorrow. It's way past European bedtime ..Just a question, by the .xml you mean dll.xml? Or which one?

Yes the dll.xml. Make a copy of it before you delete it or just rename it. Remember, if you have other add-ons you will have to re-install them. If your feeling up to it, I believe there was an earlier post on how to rebuild the xml file without having to re-install your other add-ons.Other option for you is to contact PMDG support. They may have a better process for you.

Guest juraj

Hi George,Ok, I think I'll try with the support then. I have plenty of addons that would require considerable time to reinstall :)Thanks anyway!

Guest juraj

So no answer from support yet. I hope I'll get one during today or tomorrow.Anybody thinks that MD11 may require the FSX to be running under admin privilege in Vista64?

>Anybody thinks that MD11 may require the FSX to be running>under admin privilege in Vista64?Might as well try it. :)I seem to remember someone else was having a problem with something, what I don't remember, but they selected to run as admin and it fixed their issue.

Guest juraj

Ok,so I redownloaded, reinstalled, did all the tricks that I can think of, but yet my 2D panel looks like in the attachment...Authorities, help :-)

There is a 2D panel view? When I click "A" , it goes from VC to empty screen. Meaning..100% outside front view. I do a "W" and there is no 2D view. So I simply assumed that this one has only the VC.But like I created another post saying I just cant view any of the 2D Instrument panels! They seem to be there...somewhere. Cause when I move the mouse around...I see a window frame..and then when I say "undock".. its popup as floating windows. I can do to some of the panels.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest juraj

Manny,I usually open the 2D panel with Shift+2.

Guest juraj

So,I was poking around with the display settings and everything I could lay my hands on, to no avail.Then I tried, I don't even know why, to open the 2D cockpit not with shift+2 but via the FS menu, and lo and behold, the air was filled with scent of roses, the nightingales started singing and a bottle of beer opened in a fridge by itself. Panel looks great now and civilization is saved.When I open 2D cockpit this way, further opening/closing with shift+2 works well.Maybe this will help some other desperate soul :-) Just the best possible thing to discover on a Friday evening indeed!walking towards the setting sun,