Sign in to follow this  
Guest AngeloCosma

How to KEY Map Buttons

Guest AngeloCosma

Hey guys I want to program my auto-throttle disconnect to my yoke button but I can seem to do it. I have Shift-R programed into the pmdg keyboard menu. Also I have shift-R in FSX keys mapped to my yoke but it doesn't work, I really don't want to buy FSUIPC for FSX just for this. Any help is appreciated.Angelo Cosma

Angelo, The PMDG keyboard commands menu can only assign commands to keyboard keys, not to yoke switches. But you can assign commands to yoke switches for the FSX commands that are implemented for the MD-11 (see list in introduction document).Go to the FSX command assignments menu and assign to the "Autothrottle (arm)" a yoke BUTTON (second column) not a keyboard key.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

"I have Shift-R programed into the pmdg keyboard menu" - it is ok, but...mapping the SHIFT-R combination in FSX to yoke you can asign a FSX command to these keys, not PMDG command (in this case they are independent). You have to use a software to translate yoke button push event into keyboard SHIFT-R combination event, for example Saitek Software or FSUIPC.R.czarek

Czarek, This is not necessary. We have mapped the FSX "Autothrottle (arm)" event to the the MD-11 ATS disengage action. For this event you can assign directly a yoke BUTTON from the FSX controls menu (not a key but a BUTTON on the second column).

Michael Frantzeskakis

devteam.jpg

If the commands are synchronized, the way you have depicted is sufficient solution :)R.czarek

Guest FMS747

>Czarek, >>This is not necessary. >We have mapped the FSX "Autothrottle (arm)" event to the the>MD-11 ATS disengage action. For this event you can assign>directly a yoke BUTTON from the FSX controls menu (not a key>but a BUTTON on the second column). >> Hello harcoresimmers ! This MD-11 is simply amazing. you just set up new standarts in terms of flight simulation ! I'm experiencing the same problem on my FS X. I have absolutly no key mapped with PMDG menu and I have the CH Yoke and Quadrant. Strangely, my A/P disconnects perfectly when I press the btton I have assign on the FS X commands menu. But, concerning the "Autothrottle arm SHIFT+R" and the "Authrottle TOGA CTRL+SHIFT+G", my quadrant doesn't seem to work. I'have set up everything as said on the forum and still nothing...I read the introduction document with the list on it, I've performed everything required and still nothing. Any help ? Thank you

>We have mapped the FSX "Autothrottle (arm)" event to the the>MD-11 ATS disengage action. For this event you can assign>directly a yoke BUTTON from the FSX controls menu (not a key>but a BUTTON on the second column). >FYI:After applying the just pinned "PMDG MD11 Utility that fixes Vista write permissions", did another attempt to map joystick buttons to FS key commands, for the MD11.As before mapped 3 BUTTONS in the FSX Controller Settings Menu:'Z' key for AP disconnect to button x.Shift+R for AutoTrottle (arm) to button y.Ctrl+Shift+G for TOGA to button z.What I've never done before, is to try these settings on some of the FSX default fleet (B747-400, B737 and A321).Observed that all three button setting had there effect.Back to MD11Observed:Even if the 'Z' is not assigned in the PMDG Keyboard Commands, just mapping 'Z' to a button via the FSX Controls menu, is and has given me the required result. (AP disconnect, first and second PUSH)For Shift+R and Ctrl+Shift+G,To have an effect by using the KEYBOARD, they must be assigned via the PMDG Keyboard Commands.When assigned that way, the joystick buttons mapped to these keys in the FSX Controls menu still have no effect here.Also as before, all these SET and DELETE actions were correctly written to the PMDG_MD11_Kbd Configuration Settings. Still wondering what I'm doing wrong here.The -400X AP disconnect had to be programmed here on my system via the MCP Disengage Bar, as the AP disconnect via AFDS worked with keyboard only, not via a joystick button. Having easy access to AT and TOGA functions on this type with a mouse-click, I took it as it was.On the MD11 access to these functions is much more difficult.For your reference:Not loaded FSUIPC.Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro USB stick.Vista Home Premium.Hoping for some answers, solutions,Regards,Harry

Harry, For mapping these commands to joystic buttons the PMDG commands menu is irrelevant. It is the FSX Controller Settings Menu that is used for that. If a keyboard assignment from the FSX menu is not working then this means that this particular event is not captured, so a joystic button assignment will not work as well. Do this test: Assign on the FSX menu the A/T Arm and TOGA only to the keyboard commands (delete the joystic buttons assignments for these). Is it working? If not try to assign different key combinations than the default Shift+R and Ctrl+Shift+G. Is it working now? How do you test if the assignments work? If you do it on the ground with ATS not armed neither the ATS disengage or the GA will have any effect. But you can hear the sounds and also check that the ATS disengage and GA buttons on the throttles are moving when you press the keys. For the ATS disengage better try it in flight with ATS engaged and look for the flashing red box on the FMA.

Michael Frantzeskakis

devteam.jpg

Michael,Thanks for looking into this, here the answers on the to-do test and the observations I did:>For mapping these commands to joystic buttons the PMDG>commands menu is irrelevant. It is the FSX Controller Settings>Menu that is used for that. See below.>If a keyboard assignment from the FSX menu is not working then>this means that this particular event is not captured, so a>joystic button assignment will not work as well. >Do this test: >Assign on the FSX menu the A/T Arm and TOGA only to the>keyboard commands (delete the joystic buttons assignments for>these). >Is it working?No, the (default) keyboard commands for A/T Arm and TOGA are not working. (All PMDG Commands menu items EMPTY) All other joystick buttons work as programmed. >If not try to assign different key combinations than the>default Shift+R and Ctrl+Shift+G. Assigned 'C' and 'X' to A/T Arm and TOGA.>Is it working now?No, keyboard C and X are not working.Also tested both joystick buttons by assigning the general lighting 'L' keyboard command one by one. Was working with both buttons.All the above was done with PMDG Command Menu empty.(No C, X, L and also! no Z for Autopilot disco!!)All other functions on keyboard and joystick work oke as assigned,except A/T and TOGA.I am able to get the A/T and TOGA KEYBOARD Commands working, IF I enter these same keys into the PMDG Commands Menu.The joystick buttons for AT and TOGA when linked in the FSX Controls menu still show no reaction (FMA or FWD Pedestal or 'Clicks')(as remarked before, there is an reaction in default aircraft)>How do you test if the assignments work? >If you do it on the ground with ATS not armed neither the ATS>disengage or the GA will have any effect. But you can hear the>sounds and also check that the ATS disengage and GA buttons on>the throttles are moving when you press the keys. For the ATS>disengage better try it in flight with ATS engaged and look>for the flashing red box on the FMA. Testing was done during flight, and for TOGA, Slats Extended of course.Observed FMA, Thrust limit indication and FWD pedestal Throttle buttons.Also made FSX create a new Standard Controls.xmlHope somehow this can be cleared and willing to do some more testing where required.Regards,Harry

Hi Martin,Same issue, but see you are one step ahaed.My question: How did you manage to get the A/T Arm working.Default Shift+R or some other code?Is this code listed in PMDG Commands Menu or not?What kind of joystick are you using?(MS Sidewinder PrecisionPro USB over here)Regards,Harry

Guest Totalbeginner

>Hi Martin,>>Same issue, but see you are one step ahaed.>>My question: How did you manage to get the A/T Arm working.>>Default Shift+R or some other code?>Is this code listed in PMDG Commands Menu or not?>>What kind of joystick are you using?>(MS Sidewinder PrecisionPro USB over here)>>Regards,>Harry>I only managed to assign ATS disengage to a keyboard key using the PMDG key assignment dialogue. Assigning a key or button to A/T arm (shift+R) in the FSX dialogue does absolutely nothing.