Sign in to follow this  
JHepburn

Two basic questions

Sorry if these are staring me in the face in the manuals...I'm still working through it all! :)Two question:1. If I'm cleaning up a flight plan and need to delete multiple waypoints between two points, in a boeing I would just lineselect the end waypoint into the scratchpad and move it up the list. That doesn't seem to work here...any guidance? (note: this is not a Direct-To question)2. My autopilot keeps disconnecting. Nothing is mapped to the disco key and my controls all have sufficient null zones. Additionally, the aircraft doesn't deviate from flightpath at all...it just discos and gives an aural alert. I can immediately re-engage. Thoughts?Thanks! Jeff H.KDEN

With regards to #2, this has become a real issue for me.I noticed on a flight tonight that as I was taxiing I got a CG DISAG message. I took a look at my trim and noticed it was very slowly getting higher. I re-trimmed and it started creaping up again. Once airborne I couldn't keep the autopilot connected for more than 15 seconds. During a turn, I would connect and it would immediately disconnect. I thought I had a stuck trim button, so I removed all elevator trim assigments from both keyboard and yoke...still didn't work.Anyone have any thoughts? Is there a list of all the things that might cause a disco or perhaps impact elevator trim? I'm happy to just start working through them all....Thanks!

Jeff and JHepburn (please sign with your name as per forum rules; at least this gives me a name to address you):1. You cannot lineselect waypoints in the MD-11. But you can instead type the end waypont ID yourself in the scratchpad and then insert it after the start waypoint, as you would do with a Boeing FMC.2. AP disconnect can happen if sufficient joystic movement is detected, or if elevator trim is applied. There are other cases that will result in an AP disconnect (e.g. hydraulic pressure issues, various failures, etc.) but since in your case AP can be engaged again this is probably an issue of joystic or trim input. JHepburn:If trim was changing during taxi, this indicates that there is a problem with your yoke trim control assignment. There is nothing that can change the trim without any manual control on the ground. Have you assigned trim to a yoke axis? This could cause problems as you will be getting occasional signals from the control that will disconnect the AP. Use a switch for trim control not an axis. This way you will never get control signals unless you press the switch. And also, it is realistic. This is the way it works on the real aircraft, trim is controled by the trim switches on the yoke. P.S.The CG DISAG message has nothing to do with that. It is caused by an entry (or no entry) of CG in the WEIGHTS INIT page that disagrees with the one that is computed by the FMS and is displayed on the SD SEC ENG and CONFIG pages. If you changed the ZFW or ZFWCG on the WEIGHTS INIT page, or you used the load manager, it takes about 20 seconds for the calculation of the new CG, so this message is temporary (compares with old CG) and will go away.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Jeff,#1. The correct procedure I think would be to LSK left of where you want to start going direct. In the LAT REV page, you type in the place you are going direct to from that waypoint and insert it in "NEXT WPT". The flight plan knows it is a point in the existing plan and clears out anything in between.#2. I agree that it has to be a trim issue or maybe a trim runaway fault if one exists. CG DISAG probable means that you copied the CG from the SD ENG before fueling maybe. It's what I did the first time.XanderTNCC

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Michael & Xander - Thanks!Michael, I signed my name in the first post...you even called me by it! :)As mentioned, this can't be a trim issue because I have trim assigned to nothing...no yoke, no axis, no keyboard keys, nothing. I will tell you that even after I removed trim assignment to everything, the trim WAS still creaping up...so perhaps the failures are enabled. I will re-test this again tonight and do the following. -Correct CG DISAG error-Unplug yoke/rudder and try to duplicate-Check to see if any failures are enabled (does they come enabled by default?)I will report back if I still can not localize the issue. Thanks!Jeff H.KDEN

Jeff, Sorry about the confusion with the name. I have seen the name of the second post, but missed it on the first that I thought it was from a different guy. This is what happens if you hang in the forums prosting answers for long :-)Still, there is no way that the trim can be creeping with no input. Not on the ground (in the air ther is autotrimming going on). It can't be a failures issue, either, unless you have specifically enabled any failures from the PMDG menu, and even in this case I can't think of any failure that will result in a creepring trim indication. Are you assigning trim to a switch or on an axis of your yoke? An axis assignment could explain this.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Hi Michael, no problem at all!So, I can't recreate this. Perhaps a reboot was what was required... although tonight I found that the AP was flying a light s-curve between my enroute waypoints (~7 degree turns back and forth). Wind was steady and unchanging...not sure what was up with that.I'm sure another reboot will cure it. Thanks again!Jeff H.KDEN

Xander is correct regarding 1. You can also just manual clear stuff out by pushing the CLR key and then hitting the LSK to the left of the waypoint you want to delete. (which is the same way you clear discos)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com