Sign in to follow this  
Guest SkullxBones

MD-11 FMS speed targets

Guest SkullxBones

OK, I haven't read all the MD-11 manuals yet. But I did read the FAQ for Boeing pilots about the speed targets in the FMS and how ALL targets are treated as AT OR BELOW. Is there anyway to override this so it will treat a hard target as AT and still remain under FMS/NAV/PROF control?Jeff P.

The FMS recognizes several formats for altitude at a waypoint:/4000 = AT/+4000 = AT OR ABOVE/-4000 = AT OR BELOWHope that helps!Best regards,Robin.

Guest SkullxBones

I was talking about speed restrictions, not Altitude. The FAQ says it treats them as AT or BELOW. I have found that when I set a hard speed target, it sometimes went much lower which is what the FAQ said it would do, but I would like to know if you can set a hard target and have it strictly obeyed and remain under FMS control.

No there is no way to enter a hard speed restriction in the MD-11 (real or simulated). All speed restrictions are AT/BELOW. But, there is a workaround:You can use the FMS EDIT speed, when you are in FMS SPD mode. On the PERF page for the active phase of flight (CLB/CRZ/DES) eneter the desired speed value in the EDIT field, then press the LSK next to it to activate the EDIT speed mode. An alternate way to do that is to dial the desired speed on the FCP. You will see an open magenta circle bug show on the PFD. Then press (within 10 seconds) the FMS SPD button on the FCP. This will set and activate the EDIT speed mode. To get out of this mode, you can either go to the PERF page and press the LSK next to the ECON (or POLICY during descent) fiels, or just press the FMS SPD button on the FCP and mode will revert to ECON or POLICY. When in EDIT mode, the FMS speed you entered will still be constrained by any speed restictions in the flight plan and the 10,000/250 speed limit, but will not be reduced during approach to the configuration (slats/flaps) dependend speed targets computed by the FMS.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg