Sign in to follow this  
saltypete

MD 11 Performance

G'day, I have been awaiting the MD 11 from PMDG for a couple of years and the timing of its release is perfect. I finished my university exams today and now have until March to learn to fly this bird. I am looking at buying the FS9/FSX combo, as I still use fs9 predominantly, but FSX is the future. My question is how will it run on my system? I have a Q6600 Quad core 2.40 GHz with 2GB of RAM and a 8800 GT graphics card all running XP Pro 32 Bit. I can run the Level D 767 pretty well ,15-20 FPS at airports and 40+ in the air ,although it slows down at airports like JFK, with traffic.Since the FS9 version is some way off, I'd like to run the FSX version until then, but with 49 Euro cents to the Aussie dollar it is a big investment to make without being sure it will run on my system.Any advice would be appreciated.Pete Carlsen

Guest cueceleches

I have a system pretty much like yours...the MD runs quite smooth, much better than the Queen and similar to the LDS 767. Don

I can assure you that the MD-11 performs very well in FSX. That said the Q6600 overclocks very well with a good cooler- that should permit more than adequate performance.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | NaturalPoint TrackIR Pro | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | PFC Jetliner Yoke and Pedals | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest pilot-joey

>I can assure you that the MD-11 performs very well in FSX. >That said the Q6600 overclocks very well with a good cooler->that should permit more than adequate performance.>>Best->Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225>http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png>| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS |>Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @>4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia>XBR | NaturalPoint TrackIR Pro | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB>Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS>| PFC Jetliner Yoke and Pedals | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |And that's just what I'm trying to buy me, a good cooler for my Q6600 OR adding 2 more Gigabytes of RAM in my pc. What should give me that little extra boost? Oh, and the MD11 performs pretty well ony my system (similair to the top listed poster..) but I'm looking for more FPS if possible.Best regards, Joey

Pete,i was not sure whether i should get the MD-11X only or the FSX/FS9 combo before i made my purchase.i decided to take my chances and only bought the FSX version and i do not regret it. a little concerned i was not knowing what the performance would be under FSX. except that there were PMDG statements saying that the performance would be better than the 744X. and that is very true.i am blown away by the performance of the MD-11, even though i only had little time to check her out. but 2-3 hours in the bird gave me a good impression of the fps to expect.keep in mind that my system is 3 (THREE) years old now (AMD 64 3500+, 2GB RAM, 7800GT 256MB, WinXP home) and i tested the MD-11 under pretty good FS load (meaning 30% MyTraffic, Mega Airport Frankfurt, photoreal scenery Germany but also Megascenery LAX and PHX with default airports, AND dual monitor setup 1600x1200 and 1280x1024 with the fmc and secondary EICAS [or whatever it is called in the MD-11] on the second screen) and i am still getting very flyable fps (13 fps minimum but more than 20 once airborne). of course i must be a little on the conservative side when it comes to scenery details and autogen sliders ;) being at normal and low, but that is good enough for me right now.ok, i am off now to install German Airports 2 X so that i can haul cargo out of EDDK once i understand how to operate the MD-11. next month or next year :)hope this helps.

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

G'day and Thank you to everyone who replied. Given the advice I have been given I will be making the purchase later this morning, after I have been to town to pick up a toner cartridge and a box of copying paper to print out the documentation. Thanks again for helping me out.RegardsPete Carlsen

Guest Mower

the MD runs quite smooth, much better than the Queen and similar to the LDS 767.Good to hear: I have both the 744x and the LDS 763 and 763 gets much better FPS. Hopefully I might get outta single digit FPS on the ramp with a PMDG product this time with the MD-11.

Hi Pete,On my rig, the MD-11 is fantastic!!! I've spent the best part of two years trying to get FSX running the way I like it, and I have now, including the MD-11!I dared to increase the detailed cloud distance to 110 miles, and it still runs fluidly, even at large default airports such as EHAM, or at detailed airports like Heathrow 2008.I don't run AI or AutoGen, and certainly no Bloom (doesn't look realistic to me anyway), or any shadowing (I can't see it when I'm on the flight deck! ;) ), so I get a lot of performance back from there.I still grin when I think how well it runs! I'm both amazed and extremely pleased that it is as smooth as it is. I thought it was going to be a hog, but nothing could be further from the truth! I can even fly from the VC without any issues in IMC and heavy turbulence whilst trying to shoot a hand-flown ILS approach which is saying something as I usually get upset at how jerky the VC is on other aircraft to the point it makes it unflyable for me.I have to say that it is even smoother than FS9 on my rig, which again is a first!I primarily fly from the 2D cockpit, but the MD-11 is making me fly more from the VC now as it just gives you a greater feeling of being there, in addition to just looking great. I only tend to use 2D now when I'm handling the systems, but even that is slowly moving over to the VC! If I could get the 2D systems page up easily from the VC, I'd be nearly all the time in the VC!I can't describe how pleased I am with it. It is excellent.Best regards,Robin.

>G'day and Thank you to everyone who replied. Given the advice>I have been given I will be making the purchase later this>morning, after I have been to town to pick up a toner>cartridge and a box of copying paper to print out the>documentation. Thanks again for helping me out.>>Regards>>Pete CarlsenGreat performance for me too. Similar setup to yours. Maybe a little be better FPS than the LDS 767.Try printing out on A5 paper! More compact, save's toner too!

Matthew S

G'day again, I have made the purchase and I am stunned at both the complexity of the aircraft and systems, and also the performance in FSX. On my system (specs listed in first post) I am getting 20-30 fps in the 2d cockpit and 15-25 fps in spot view at VHHH with no autogen, traffic at 50% and vehicle traffic at low. It is smooth as well. I have let FS run for the last hour or so just to check that I don't get OOM errors. Tommorrow I will attempt the tutorial, this is gonna be great summer break learning the PMDG MD 11. Pete Carlsen