Sign in to follow this  
neas1982

[MD-11] Dial-a-flap

Hi all,How do we know which flap setting is best for any given weight for T.O ? The tutorial gives us flap 22 for take-off but doesn't state why and how this has to be ammended for different TO-weights.Kind Regards,Sean

Sean,This is usually a matter of airline procedures. Swissair used 22, other airlines use 15 or other settings.Once you enter the flaps setting in the TAKE OFF page, the V speeds will be calculated for the setting you have entered and the current GW, so they will be correct whatever flaps you select.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Guest paulb2008

I cant seem to get the fmc to auto calculate my v-speeds, is there anything im missing? i have put in all my weights and cruise altitude and flex to thrust settings but the v-speeds sections are blank.I even tried right clicking on them to see if it would come up in the scratchpad but no luck.Thanks,Paul.

Dial-a-flap was intended to allow for the most efficient flap setting. Keep in mind that Flap 25 gives you the lowest Vr, however lower climb rates, while Flap 15 will give you higher Vr but better rate of climb. The beauty of dial-a-flap is that it doesn't restrict you to just those two settings, but whatever is best for that particular take-off. A combination of factors, MTOW, terrain/obstacle clearance, density altitude, Wx minima, runway slope and length - all can be factors in deciding.Enjoy your $100 ($3,000,000) simulator- there is nothing in the FS world comparable.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | NaturalPoint TrackIR Pro | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | PFC Jetliner Yoke and Pedals | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Paul:Ensure OAT and wind/slope are in as well. For most accurate calcs select the specific runway also.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | NaturalPoint TrackIR Pro | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | PFC Jetliner Yoke and Pedals | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I agree with Carl - this model is so realistic that you could probably do airline training and flow practice with it! Absolutely fantastic. The other thing I would have to add is making sure that the runway slope gradient is set to 0/0. That should do the trick!Paul DaviesCFMEII

Guest paulb2008

thanks alot guys, also will fs give you this data or do i need other software? i have fs commander again thanks for the help.Paul

Guest FrancoisH

For TOW, you'll easily find it... Your Take Off Weight. (MTOW stand for Maximum TOW)Terrain/obstacle clairance, density altitude, runway slope, you'll find those in any airport chart...Lenght of runway is I think directly managed by FMC but it could be nice to check at chart and make a general idea if it is suitable for MD11 landing/take-off.WX Minima, you can find this information in any METAR, no need of FSCommander and other things.Anyway, for me flying on IVAO, I use FSCommander or just En-Route charts to build my route, airport chart to follow procedures and IVAO metars (from IVAP) to get weather.Regards.P.S. I hope it was your question.

SeanAnother option regarding TO performance:Deflected ailerons option or not.Regards,Harry