Sign in to follow this  
stevenp

md-11 oom errors

I've had one OOM error so far - and I see now that it was as I approached Aerosoft's H'row, over Horizon's VFR London demo, in a MD-11 that I'd re-loaded 3 times despite the advice that I've now spotted in the intro that we ought not to try to reload the same plane...Funnily enough, it's not happened since :)

Paul Skol

Guest EDSJ

If you are running Vista 64 and FSX the system is already fully 4G capable.Sure this is a point. This do the patch! You dont know if this guy put more ram into his system after full installation. SP1 is required for that.For Vista32:windowsbutton + r put this in bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072 Vista64:SP1Try to patch the fsx.exe with 4gb_patch.zip

Hey, I noticed all that posted are Vista users. Does anyone use Wix XP Pro and if so...any ideas on how to solve this? I was running ASX at the time, whilst on the ground. Oh, yeah...at KJFK (addon. Nothing else.Had no OOM probs otherwise.system is roughly AMD 64x2 3800+ w/NVid.GeForce 9600GTsoundblaster cardThx for help if possible.Chad D.

Guest D17S

Relative to these OOM issues, Vista 32 and XP 32 are both simply 32bit operating systems. Both will need the same mod to allow the memory system's talley sheet to schedule 3G of ram. Again, this has nothing to do with physical ram. OOMs occur only on the basis of ram scheduling that is happening inside the op system's "kernal."

Guest D17S

No. It will only help 32Bit systems. However make sure you have FSX's SP2 installed. That sets the program's 3G switch. FS9 is going to be fun. The operating system "switching" will still be required for 32bit systems, but there is no automatic way to set the program's 3G switch within the FS9.exe file. It can be done by dedicated computer scientists, but yikes . . . that's gonna be a mess.When we get it, I'll be beating it hard. I'll let us know.

>No. It will only help 32Bit systems. However make sure you>have FSX's SP2 installed. That sets the program's 3G switch. >>FS9 is going to be fun. The operating system "switching" will>still be required for 32bit systems, but there is no automatic>way to set the program's 3G switch within the FS9.exe file. It>can be done by dedicated computer scientists, but yikes . . .>that's gonna be a mess.>>When we get it, I'll be beating it hard. I'll let us know.The program itself (FS9) doesn't have a "3G" switch. When the /3GB flag in boot.ini is set in a 32-bit Windows OS, it permits the OS to allocate up to 3GB of memory address space to any program running under it, and as a potentially troublesome side-effect, it crams the OS in the remaining 1GB of address space. Assuming /3GB is set in the OS, the LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag must be set in a program's PE header for that program to make use of the expanded virtual address space. Setting the flag allows a 32-bit program to see addresses in the complete 4GB 32-bit virtual address space. Normally, the top address bit is disabled, meaning that an application considers its environment to only include the first 2GB of the 4GB virtual 32-bit address space (Windows is assumed to "own" the upper 2GB of the address space).It's actually fairly straightforward to set the LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag in fs9.exe or any other 32-bit program using editbin (in Win XP or Vista, and 32 or 64-bit in either). No CS degree required.I've just built a Vista 64 environment on my computer, and am about to try running FS9 on Vista 64 to see if setting the LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag on the program when running on a 64-bit OS provides relief for the out of memory problem that plagues FS9 on a 32-bit OS.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest D17S

Especially for FS9, folks need to be aware there are TWO (2) switches that need to be set. 1) One is in the FSX(9) program's .exe file. 2) The other is in the op system's boot.ini file. Therefore, individual programs Do need this switch set via a modification to their .exe files. Semantic discussions are great fun, just as long as we understand what's actually going on. For FSX, the FSX.exe switch-mod is set automatically with the SP2 update. For FS9, it will need to be set manually.Fixing an IRU drift problem is pretty straight forward to me, but it might not be to others. So too, might setting the program's .exe switch in FS9's .exe file. When the time comes, we're really gonna appreciate your help with this. Thanks in advance. All this clumsiness is a function of this transition from 32 to 64 bit operating systems. It's no one's fault, other than the need to keep increasing software capabilities. FS/PMDG users are at the leading edge this transition because of the inefficiencies of FSX and the complexities of the PMDG product. It's the price we pay. Ain't it great being a pioneer? (Not!)

All a bit confusing this to the uninitiated..........But.........are you saying that with SP2 installed to FSX the OOM problem should disappear?Thing is, I have SP2 installed and also have the OOM problem!!In which case what is my next move?WinXP 32bit.John

Guest Mower

Never heard of the infamous OOM errors with V64 and 4 GB RAM...AFAIK that should not happen ever!

Guest EDSJ

Use google and you find more as one with this problem. With other Games on 64Bit, too. Try my 4GB_patch.zip and report.

Guest D17S

Check out the thread: "MD-11 memory management / OOM error issues"in this forum. One of the guys laid out a good method of installing the 3G switch in the op system. Remember, Both switches need to be installed. SP2 only installed one. YoU must install the other (the op system 3G switch).