Sign in to follow this  
stevenp

md-11 oom errors

Guest D17S

Vista 64 + FSX w/SP2 = The perfect software setup.

Guest Ian

I am having the same problem. I am running vista with 4 gig of ram and have a substantial video card and power supply. I never had any OOM errors until I loaded this MD-11.

Guest fbasili

hi guys, I had same problem having VISTA32 and 2GBRAM. What I shall do?

After some scepticism I too am beginning to suspect that the MD-11 suffers from a problem here. I've got Vista 64 with 4Gb and I've been using the PMDG 747X and Level-D 767X without trouble for ages.Since installing the MD-11, I get problems when I come into the approach at Heathrow 2008X - when things get busy and graphically intensive, with me panning around and looking out of the window, with lots of clouds, at dusk, with the demanding UTX ground lighting turned on - the display starts shutting down: first the fuselage disappears from the exterior model; then the cockpit goes; then the whole screen goes black. No error message flashes up and FSX is still "running" well enough to let me exit out of it, but the thing is completely unusable. I can get back to the FSX start menu - but the space for the rotating aeroplane is also black.At first I suspected the graphics drivers: but I am reasonably confident that I have eliminated these as a source of trouble. Could be a failure with the GPU: but as I say, I never had trouble with my other add-ons. The problem happens most quickly when I'm on Vatsim with FSInn: could be something to do with this but, again, why has it cropped up for the first time with the MD-11?I still have one or two tests to do yet: it just might be that my RAM settings are too tight. But I must admit I'm beginning to suspect that there's a problem with the MD-11 when it's in the most demanding situations and, further, that the problem may well have to do with the way it interacts with the memory.Tim

Guest D17S

In testing, I found the MD was sensitive to extremely high system loads. With my irrational settings (and the resulting 3FPS performance) weird things happened. I expect that also, if it is asked to operate within an irrationally tight hardware choral, its tune might also run a bit off key. Actually, the MD might be considered a new benchmark for system stability.

Guest Ian

No, not yet. I have been turning off all side applications and I still get the oom message. Every once in a while, I can get a landing out of it, but mostly I get the message in the approach phase of flight regardless of whether the autopilot is on or off and also regardless of how long the sim has been running.

Guest Ian

Konrad,Thanks for the info on that link. I'll try it out.Ian

Guest ShaneRay

Hey, Guys.I've only completed the tutorial flight once so far (been away from flying for a while and am rather rusty :) )Anyway, at the end of the flight, I too received an OOM. So, I'm looking for instructions on how to get /3GB switch working. What I've read hasn't been clear to me, so...How does one set the OS switch for Vista 32bit?Thanks!Shane

Hey guess what, I just installed sp2 and I got rid of the ooms but instead I got a ctd. I had this problem a long time ago, but I found the solution to be the memory timings being too tight.

I still have a few more control tests to perform, but I've spent some more time on this and I am more and more inclined to the view that something is not quite right about the way the MD-11 handles RAM - at least, compared to other add-on aircraft.Thanks to Sam for pointing me to the sysinternals monitor. What this tells me is that once FSX uses above about 1,930,000k of Private RAM, I'm likely to get trouble. The figure creeps up and up over the course of about an hour - and then, bingo. It looks like what a layman might call a memory leak: but that is way beyond my ability to diagnose. I've also noticed that FSX has what looks like a large number of page faults (ie, calls on the virtual RAM, as I understand it): over 11 million in about 40 minutes.Obviously 1.9Gb is well short of the theoretical 4Gb maximum: Sam, I'm amazed you could bring FSX's usage up to 4Gb! But of course, it was established some time ago that the constraint for FSX is not only (or mainly) the overall amount of RAM in the system, but the amount of CONTIGUOUS memory available (like unfragmented space on a hard disk). I wonder whether the problem has something to do with this. Is the MD-11 somehow looking for longer stretches of contiguous RAM than are likely to be available after a while of flight in intensive graphical environments? Should it be satisfying itself with smaller chunks?In case it isn't perfectly obvious already, I wish to emphasise that this is the speculation of a complete amateur in these matters. Tim

Guest D17S

"How does one set the OS switch for Vista 32bit?"Ryan?

>"How does one set the OS switch for Vista 32bit?">>Ryan?Courtesy of NickN's guide on Simviation:WINDOWS VISTA 32BIT ONLY: 1. Open a command prompt with Administration rights. You find the command prompt box under "Programs-Accessories-Command prompt" 2. Right Click the command prompt and select "run as administrator". 3. Enter in the box at the prompt: (copy/paste if you wish)bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560 and press enter 4. Reboot TO set that back to default in VISTA just start the command line prompt with Admin right again and type: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048 Hit enter and reboot Make sure you have the VISTA updates from Windows Update installed that address out of memory errors too.http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1188591122As long as you have Vista up to date with Windows update... or SP1 for Vista installed, you should already have those patchesAll the bestKonrad

Konrad