Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jack22

Graphics cards and PMDG products

Guest Jack22

Hey all,I want to buy a new graphics card because my old one is too slow to run FSX, PMDG products and other add-ons at the same time. So I would like to buy a new one which is able to run the products fast and smooth above all with the MD-11 and 747-400X. I have searched and read some reports with new graphics cards in use with FSX. But they don

I'd get the GTX 260 or the Radeon 4870. I have the 4870 and think it's a great card. There is a minor issue going on with the MD-11 2D panel with it that produces some visual artifacts that I'm trying to get solved with ATI, but it doesn't affect anything other than cosmetics... The card is great, I played through Crysis Warhead two weeks ago on totally maxed out settings at 1920X1200 and it was very nice.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest FirstOfficerFast

Does the Nvidia 8800GT(X) come cheap these days? Not the newest on the market, yet mindblowing performance. Well, to my standards. Since thats what I've got ;)Cheers,Niklas

Toms Hardware has made extensive GraCard benchmarks. They included FSX SP2 benchmarks at different resolutions and settings with some remarkeable results. If you look at FSX only, the newest and most expensive card seems not to be the best choice. The target resolution seems to be an important factor to be considered, as some cards have huge problems with Anti-Aliasing at higher resolutions.I used the results as reference, and decided to go with a 9600GT (1024MB) to replace my 2x 7950GT (512MB each, NON-SLI). Just installed the new card 2 days ago and i'm VERY happy. I do see the improvements the benchmark promised.http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-...-X-SP2,780.htmlRegards,Joerg

Joerg Alvermann
Win10 Pro 64Bit - i9-9900KS - GTX980Ti 6GB - 5760x1200

>Hey all,>>I want to buy a new graphics card because my old one is too>slow to run FSX, PMDG products and other add-ons at the same>time. So I would like to buy a new one which is able to run>the products fast and smooth above all with the MD-11 and>747-400X. I have searched and read some reports with new>graphics cards in use with FSX. But they don

André

Hi HendrikFor 1680x1050 an ATI 4850 or a 9800GTX will be more than adequate. For 1920x1200 the ATI 4870 (non X2) is probably the best deal with the GTX260 a very close second. Overall the ATI4870 seems to the be the "card of the moment".If you have a 64bit OS I highly recommend one of the 1GB DDR5 variants of the ATI 4870.Konrad

Konrad

As I've said in several other threads, I don't trust the Tom's benchmarks. My 4870 is much faster than what they show for it there and I don't think any mainstream hardware review site understands how to set up FSX correctly. I have no idea what they're using for settings etc... Tom's has a long standing history of being biased against AMD & ATI stuff even when all the other sites are saying they're better too. Intel CPUs are clearly better right now, but I think the 4870 is a really good card and easily meets or exceeds Nvidia's top end stuff.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

To be honest I highly doubt you would see a difference in fps between a GTX260 and a 4870. In fact all the "upper mid-end" and "top-end" cards from both the red and green camp will perform pretty much equally in FSX. Where you score is in the price you pay.Important GPU purchasing considerations:1. Minimum 512MB RAM and minimum 256bit memory bus (both very important).2. nVidia or Intel chipset motherboard? SLI and crossfire (if you want to go that route in the future) are locked into certain chipsets.3. Power supply connectors: More powerful cards require 2 x 6 pin power connectors, some require both a 6 and 8 pin. Either way make sure your PSU has the right connectors.4. GPU Cooling type. Double slot designs which blow hot air out the back of the case are always better than those which do not. The more powerful the card the higher the temp's will get.5. GPU Length. The top end cards are all pretty long! Make sure you have the space inside your case.Given the above considerations are met the 4870 with 1024MB RAM is an excellent choice!Konrad

Konrad