Sign in to follow this  
badderjet

Visual Approah???

When flying an IFR flight and approaching the destination airport..what is the purpose of asking ATC for the optional "Visual Approach" What's the difference if you don't? Under which circumstances might you ask???THanks,ROBBYG

Hello, When Air Traffic Control (ATC) start vectoring you you are IFR. They will vector you to the active runway. If you can see the runway you may request a visual approach where you will fly your aircraft to the runway visually without ATC. If you are going visual the pilot will normally fly it by hand! However, if you are at a busy airport and are in a que and another aircraft is ahead of you but you can't see them but you can see the runway and you ask for a visual approach ATC will NOT rant you visual clearence because you cannot see the other aircraft. However if you do see the aircraft AND the runway you may request a visual approach/landing and ATC may allow you since you can see the aircraft and runway!!! When going visual you will take responsibilty for your vertical navigation too and care MUST be taken not to descend too low. If you lose sight of either the runway or the other aircraft initiate a go-around and contact ATC saying you are doing so. Hope this clears it up!!! Thank-youJulie ScottA320 Captain

hello,yea what he said heh. Are you a real A320 captain normally I wouldent ask this but you sound like you know what your talking about which Im sure you do :-)?Andrew :-wave

Hello, Yes I am an A320 Captain! I was wondering why you asked?Julie ScottA320 Captain

I dunno I guess I was wondering since that reply was very detailed and the average simmer probably would not have replied like that :-p. Also is it hard to fly with a side stick? <--- Ive always wondered.Andrew:-wave

Hi Julie,>If you >can see the runway you may request a visual approach where >you will fly your aircraft to the runway visually without >ATC.What's the advantage to the pilot of doing this? Is it like requesting an early turn onto final?Sidney Schwartz [KPDX]

Hello, First, the sidestick:- Depends which pilot you are, if you come from a Boeing you may prefer the yoke, if you are an Airbus pilot from the start you will prefer the stick. I have flown a 737 Simulator and I must say I prefer the stick. I think the idea of the stick is fantastic, leaves us pilots with space, and the idea of the tray/table is just excellent, we can have lunch in comfort and do paperwork on it too. It's a common question, and each to his/her own. Onto the benefits of the visual.If you see the runway it does mean you can skip the que and land. Sometimes even if you can see the runway (and aircraft ahead of you) the controller may still vector you as he may be sequencing departing aircraft too, and he/she may not want you at the runway too early!!Julie ScottA320 CaptainEdited: Spelling errors, in a rush!!

Julie,You made a big mistake identifying yourself as a real airline captain. Now those of us who fly small planes are going to bug you with questions. For example; There has been alot of talk in the forum on when to use certain lights. The FARs are prety specific on beacons and position lights. The FARs arn't that specific on landing lights and strobes. When do you use your strobes and when do you use the landing lights and taxi lights? Thanks.DAVID C. FREEMANContinental Virtual AirlinesReal World C172 pilot

Hello, Well, we turn the taxi lights on after pushback when the tug and ground crew are clear of the aircraft!!! As far as strobes go we switch them on when we switch the taxi lights on (day/night for both) The landing lights are switched on when we enter the active runway. In the case of a backtrack we wait until we are realigned again incase of an aircraft on approach, landing lights are bright!!! Why was it a mistake to declare myself as a real world flight crew? I don't mind answering questions, ask by all means. Thank-youJulie ScottA320 Captain

>You made a big mistake identifying yourself as a real >airline captain.Yee haa, also my opinion! :-lol All right, here we go :-hah: I have some A340 ovhd photos right in my hands, and I've just seen a pb labelled 'COMMERCIAL' on the ELEC part of the panel. And second: On the main panel, FO's ND: a boxed white message at the bottom saying GPS PRIMARY. Can you please explain to me these two things? :-smooch Thank you!Regards :-wave from EDDFhttp://flightsimmers.net/airport/etti/signature_pro.jpg

Hello, I don't fly the A340. I would never be a long-haul pilot! However, on the I can take a guess on your second question. I believe the A340 has two/three GPS recievers and the ND must be pulling it's position data from one of the GPS's which mus tbe labelled as the primary GPS. On the A320 we have the ADIR which gives us our position (longitude/latitude). I have no idea about the "commerical" push-button. I would have to ask around for that. Is it beside the galley button? If so it could be for the IFE (In-Flight Entertainment) the IFE pulls alot of power from the aircraft, and possibly in a low-power state the aircraft would drop that bus and the galley bus. I don't know, it's a guess. Thanks,Julie ScottA320 CaptainUK Charter Airline

Nice to see you jumping into the questions Julie.. hop over now and then for some help at the PSS forum. I can get you in contact with Captn Seagull, also real A320 captain.. maybe you can chat. :-)Beware for a lot of test questions.. they wanna know for sure if you are a real pilot on tha bus!Have fun flying!Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]Unofficial PSS website:www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johdMy help may not me much usefull, or usefull much..eh?http://people.zeelandnet.nl/johd/index2/Ar...s/Leg1/klm5.jpgTrue Blue! K L M!

Well the photo has a bit bad perspective, very bad angle, but yes, the COMMERCIAL switch is just right of the GALLEY switch, good guess! :-smooch Thanks for the GPS info...EDITOh well I've just scanned the two pics. Of course only a small part...Regards :-wave from EDDFhttp://flightsimmers.net/airport/etti/signature_pro.jpgBTW Oh my god, no thirty posts and already five stars received within one day! :-hah That's saying something!