Sign in to follow this  
Shmiffy

[MD 11] Wind, ASX, FSUIPC, Randomness

Hi Guys:I have searched forever and far too many responses, not many appropriately related, so am asking here in the hope that someone can help.Im finding the MD11 a touch sensitive to wind shifts and what have you. I was wondering if anyone has the definitive list of what settings to put into ASX, and FSUIPC to get the weather working such that it isnt quite so upsetting to the MD, or the 744 for that matter.CheersPaul

Yes, I know what you mean. The MD-11 seems to be very aggressively chasing the FDs commands. My last flight (delivery from Long Beach to Amsterdam) was an almost continuous wobble between 0 and 5 degrees pitch attitude because of these wind shifts and the effect they have on the MD.

Hi,I've found it is only chasing the FD in turbulence. In smooth air, it tracks fine - just what I'd expect.Did you read about the Quantas A330 that had a mid-flight upset? The AP was religiously following the pitch from the ADIRU during a fault which sent the aircraft into a hard pitch down maneuver, resulting in several people being pinned to the ceiling. The aircraft only lost and gained 300 ft of altitude. Shows how hard it was tracking.40 people were injured, 8 sustained fractures, and one person was seriously injured. :( Airbus are investigating.Best regards,Robin.

Hi Robin:Understood, my issue is that at present i am seeing a lot of overspeeds and partial ap disco's as a result. I'm in need really, of getting the settings in ASX and FSUIPC to reflect as close to 'real' as ASX gets within the limits of the sim.CheersPaul

Yes I too encountered this out of KBOS climbing between 16000 and FL260. When the wind shifts the autopilot aggressively S- turns 20 to 30 degrees off track back and forth up to 30 degrees of bank. It is quite annoying. I've tried tweaking the winds to smoothe them out to no avail. I'm glad I'm not the only one.VRToddhttp://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-pilot.jpg

ATP MEL

Commercial SEL

B-747, BE-300, BE-400, DHC8, ERJ 170/190, MU-300

C-17A Globemaster III

Somebody must have arrived at the 'sweet spot' for ASX and FSUIPC4 wind smoothing....I have been arsing around with settings for days now and no luck....Shall have to hit the FSUIPC forum and teh HiFi forums at the same time. See what we can get.I have searched, but the string is obviously a little too ambiguous as most of the posts it return are gibberish...C'mon guys - whats the secret ??? ;)CheersPaul

heh, I don't know any "secret". All I can say is what I have experienced with winds, ASX, and the MD-11 *so far*:I do not use FSUIPC at all.relevant ASX Settings page items:CHECK Enhance route coverageUNCHECK disable winds aloftUNCHECK enable wind data smoothingCHECK enable wind shift stabilizationWith the above, ASX seems to do a good enough job on squashing the wind shifts before they do anything bad on the MD-11. However, keep in mind, I have only flown the MD-11 about 6 hours now. I have not done a transatlantic flight, and that would be the true test of the wind shift issue.One thing I am about to experiment with is:CHECK Create Virtual Stations.I have been running this UNCHECKED but I'm going to check it and do a flight and see what happens.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I use FSUIPC and ASX without getting major winds shifts by activating wind control in FSUIPC; click on wind tap and tick wind smoothing; I use 5 seconds for each 1 knot or 1 degree of wind change; For ASX I leave wind smoothing off as fsuipc does a better job for me.I deactivate it during approach and take off to ensure receiving correct destination metar winds.You can review fsuipc settings here: http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

Norbert
HC-Noble Air Australia
http://www.nobleair.net/

banner-Prepar3D.jpg
rb_banner_line_pilot.png

Hi Guys:Many thanks for the responses. Ryan:Looking forward to hearing what Vengelis has to say. I am trying every possible combination of time compressions and so on, to the extent that i managed to get a tail wind on a NAT flying east to west yesterday - that messed with the fuel planning!CheersPaul

Guest TSE

you are not alone, I experience the same over the North Atlantic, still tweaking without satisfactory results so far.ThanksJoerg

Hi,Hmm - I'm not using ASX - maybe that's the issue?My post further up about the Airbus incident is incorrect (typical news reporting!). ADIRU 1 generated spurious data, with the event that the aircraft chased was actually an erroneous AoA. AP1 disconnected automatically very shortly afterwards, with the aircraft pulling a total of +0.8g (pitch down) and + 1.6g (manual pilot recovery).Chances are the reports of injuries are also incorrect.Best regards,Robin.

While I really like ASX, I think if you have a registered version of FSUIPC to smooth winds, pressures and temps that solves the MSFS wx abnormalities. I've got smoothing set to 1 kt/deg per 5 seconds, which seems to calm the beast very well.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan:Many thanks for the responses. Firstly - I havent spoken to you on the forum before, so many thanks for the USA SID/STAR packages, i wouldnt be able to much in the US without them. It's nice to see that they all work as well in the MD11 as the 744.I do run a registered version of FSUIPC, so shall have a crack at using your settings. Could i be a bit cheeky and ask about your ASX settings too? :)CheersPaul

I don't let ASX do any smoothing; although, I do let her enhance the route with pseudo stations. Also, I turn off turbulence everywhere. There's nothing to be gained since the MSFS models turbulence verrry poorly.

Dan Downs KCRP