Sign in to follow this  
Shmiffy

[MD 11] Wind, ASX, FSUIPC, Randomness

Hi Dan:Thanks for that. Just about to have a pop at a KMIA or KMCO to EGKK route so shall have a tweak of ASX/FSUIPC and see what happens.CheersPaul

Guys: Below is the post i am cross posting. I have been running a flight as per the suggestions offered, but am finding that the winds in FSX bear no relation to those that ASX thinks i should haveHi Guys:I am cross-posting this simultaneously to HI-Fi Sim, FSUIPC, BAv, and PMDG Forums. Apologies if it has been asked before, but i promise i have searched, but the search string 'ASX FSX FSUIPC WIND SHIFT' offers so many results that a sensible and coherent answer is difficult to track down. If you know of a post that answers my question succinctly, and will enable me to get the results that i am looking for, then please point me in the right direction, and my apologies for asking that same old question again.I have just made the switch to FSX, and i am having trouble with the wind shifts. The pressure issue has so far not been noticed, but there's time yet :)I run FSX on my main machine which has FSUIPC 4.28 currently installed. I am aware that there is an updated version, i have downloaded and will install after this flight.On my Laptop and talking via simconnect over a wired LAN is ASX, and SB4. Talking via WideClient, is the VA's ACARS System.The problem i have, is the winds. Currently, i am mid atlantic, travelling west to east at FL370 0302Z.Winds in FSX are reading 051*/030 (a 30 Kt Headwind). After setting FL370 and refreshing the data for my current Flight Plan, the winds should (as far as the ASX Briefing Page goes) be 254*/100 (a 100 Kt Tail Wind).------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My ASX Settings are as follows;Auto Wx Downloads - ONVatsim Downloads - OFFForce High Priority - OFFDownload Interval - 10 MinsDynamic Rate Of Change - 10%Wake Turb Strength - 13%Depict Hurricanes - ONCreate Virtual Stations - OFFEnhance Route Coverage - OFFX Graphics Options - Not Installed - All OFFMax Surface Wind - 100KtMin Wind Turb - 0%Max Wind Turb - 0%Min Wind Shear - 0%Max Wind Shear - 0%Disable Winds Aloft - OFFEnable Wind Data Smoothing - OFFEnable Wind Shift Stabilisation - OFFMin Surface Vis - 0SMMax Surface Vis - 100SMMax Upper Vis - 80SMMax Cloud Layers - 20Min Cloud Turb - 0%Max Cloud Turb - 0%Min Cloud Icing 0%Max Cloud Icing 60%CAVOK Cloud Gen - 24%No Data Cloud Gen 50%Cirrus Cloud Gen - 50%Stratus Cloud Occurrence - 20%Enable Fog Layer - ON[ On - Ticked / OFF - Unticked ]>>>>>> Since i began writing the last wx update - winds are now 001*/000<<<<<<<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------FSUIPC SettingsSmooth Wind Changes near aircraft with changes limited to [ 1 ] Knot or degree per secondThat is the only weather relevant WX setting within FSUIPC that i have set.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>>>>> Winds now 003*/001 FSX - 250*/100 ASX <<<<<<<<

They are now investigating whether signals from a top-secret Naval Base may have interfered with the aircrafts' onboard systems, causing that incident.

Guest TSE

Captains, for those battling the wind shiftsI fired up ASV 6.5 6 hours ago with FSX and my winds have been completly stable since.To my surprise, ASV 6.5 runs with FSX without any issues noted so far...Give it a shot.ThanksJoerg

Guest DeltaSimTek

>Great help - thanks Mat ;)>>Cheers>>>PaulPaul, did adjusting the FSUIPC settings fix your problem? I have the same thing with or without using Active Sky. Even if I use MSFS real world weather, I get the violent wind shifts and it knocks me out of PROF mode and FMS SPD. I can only use fair weather settings at best.Bryan Gandallhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_trijet.jpg

Bryan:The FSUIPC Settings to smooth the winds are both helping and hindering, at the bottom of my more lengthy post above a give the setting, sorry, cant remember what they were at the moment. The help is the smoothness of the shifts, the hinderance is that with a higher setting, the delays can be so large that the winds will ultimately not reflect anything close to your briefing.AS6,5 seems to give far better results in terms of stable winds though!CheersPaul

Guest bonez

Has anyone tried changing the setting in FS? - settings/customise/weather/disable turbulance and thermal effects on aircraft? It worked for me.bonez

>Captains, for those battling the wind shifts>>I fired up ASV 6.5 6 hours ago with FSX and my winds have been>completly stable since.>>To my surprise, ASV 6.5 runs with FSX without any issues noted>so far...>>Give it a shot.>>Thanks>>JoergFolks, Like TSE, I am using AS6.5 with FSX and the wind problem has gone completely away for the most part. Like most, I had very bad problems with the winds and the PMDG 747 (don't have the MD-11 yet). I have been waiting for REX to come out but got so frustrated with the wind problems and the PMDG 747 that I reinstalled AS6.5 (AS6.5 only not the graphics/radar gauge part) (I never bought ASX) as I heard it worked with FSX and what a change in FSX wind behavior. Winds are very stable with every aircraft. I do not have registered FSUIPC but do have free version 4.3 installed.Another tip, make sure that "User defined weather" is checked under FSX weather. If this is not checked, AS weather will not be applied in game. Seems simple, but I have never seen AS6.5 weather not applied in game unless this option was unchecked.Bill BarretteUnited-Virtual.com

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized

Hi Bill:Thanks for the tip. And congratulations on that 100,000th Pirep from BAVirtual! ;)RegardsPaul

Guest fbasili

Anyone experience FSX crash using MD11 + ASX + IVAP ?I try many legs in this configuration but every time FSX crashed after one hour. Without starting ASX all things goes OK.bye

>Hi Bill:>>Thanks for the tip. And congratulations on that 100,000th>Pirep from BAVirtual! ;)>>Regards>>PaulWhy Paul, thank you very much. I didn't realize that people in other VA's actually noticed these kinds of things. I was very surprised to have been the one to file this flight to be sure.Bill BarretteUnited-Virtual.com

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized

Hi Bill:It was as much the fact that i happened to have been looking at the United Virtual website that morning, and your name rang a bell. :)Plus i like to do my bit for 'corporate' relations every now and again ;)CheersPaul

Forget about ASX - I use since 6 months AS6.5 together with FSX with no problems...I use ASX only to copy the MAG VAR for my waypoints....Just finished a flt to KJFK - calc flt time 08:37 - act 08:29well within limits - winds stable and more or less accdg. AS6.5 navlog except over water the wind were completely off - reason for faster trip - on the navlog it showed 100 kts wind from NW - it was only 35 kts...I need help with the entry of wind data in the MD11 FMS - in the manual pages 10.17 and 18 they are are talking about the entry of TEMP/WIND - what I understand andon pages 10.30 and 31 ( descent fcst ) they say wind entries are done as waypoint wind entires... which is not correct.No other page found in the FMS manual...Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman FosterWill be closed Oct30,2008 - its a shame !http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Guest Usscarrier

Karl and the other pilots using Activesky 6.5 for FSX:I am using ASX with FSX and I pretty much have the sudden changes under control with FSUIPC, but I still get the variations of well more then 40 degrees or more from either side of what the "briefing window" said. For example a fix might say to expect winds 290 at 80. I will see anything from 180 to 020 or more with direction. It just seems to keep sliding back and forth around the compass. The speed seems to be a little better controlled.Has AS6.5 fixed this problem for you guys? Or, do you still see large variations in direction from what was to be expected. I just recently bought ASX and hate to go back and by the older program, but am willing to do it if the significant improvement is there over ASX.Thanks for any info and my apologies and thanks to PMDG for letting this thread run even though it is not really PMDG specific.Thanks,Travis Normandin