Sign in to follow this  
Shmiffy

[MD 11] Wind, ASX, FSUIPC, Randomness

Hi Travis,after using AS6.5 the sudden wind shifts stopped immediately - and where good grd stations are avail the wind reading are more or less correct - whereby correct means they are very similar to the navlog which I use to build my flt plan.Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman FosterWill be closed Oct30,2008 - its a shame !http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Travis,I also do not see these wild wind swings once I installed AS6.5. I do not routinely check expected versus achieved wind conditions but what I get seems right usuallyand I don't care about this as much as I do the basically unflyable situation with the wind shifts. And usually VATSIM weather and AS 6.5 weather are usually pretty close.

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized

Guest Usscarrier

Thanks guys for the info, greatly appreciated. Guess I'll have to dig out the credit card.

Guest TSE

I'm still testing different setups/configs between ASX and ASV6.5.The best results so far for stable winds with the MD11 were achieved with ASV6.5, "Wind Drift Rate" = 5 or higher in ASV settings and (surprisingly) all wind smoothing options "OFF" in FSUIPC.Having wind smoothing options OFF in FSUIPC prevents the short but heavy erratic wind shifts during new weather cycle download and station refresh - at least on my rig.ThanksJoerg

HiI'm finding that ASV6.5 with FSUIPC wind smoothing works quite ok with one issue.When ASV6.5 loads a weather update, the wind violently goes to 0 and then back to what it was previously. This behavior of course generates situations with the MD11 as you can go from nice cruise to 60kts overspeed in under and second and then back smooth cruising.Anyone with similar issue? or with a solution?//OlliEDIT: It seems I'm in a need some eyeglasses....sigh. Should have read whole thread through.

>I'm still testing different setups/configs between ASX and>ASV6.5.>>The best results so far for stable winds with the MD11 were>achieved with ASV6.5, "Wind Drift Rate" = 5 or higher in ASV>settings and (surprisingly) all wind smoothing options "OFF">in FSUIPC.>Having wind smoothing options OFF in FSUIPC prevents the short>but heavy erratic wind shifts during new weather cycle>download and station refresh - at least on my rig.>>>Thanks>>Joerg>I now tried this with exact same settings and also tried to variable settings but no result.During new weather cycle download the wind direction shifts massively making the situation impossible really.Yesterday I did a leg and on final with new weather cycle download the 20 knot headwind shifted for a 20 knot tail wind, not really nice results..I'm beginning to be out of ideas.. :( Could anyone with working ASV6.5 setup(ie. no wind shifts during new cycle download) post their _exact_ FSUIPC and ASV settings?

Guest TSE

I was a bit too optimistic with my initial statement - the wind shifts are still there during a cycle update/download.I did a 10 hr 30 minutes flight yesterday from LSZH to VHHX and took again a closer look at the wind shifts.Massive wind shifts are always there for about 30 seconds if AsV 6.5 downloads/processes/updates the stations. I noticed that the wind shifts are most noticable in areas with a dense airport coverage f.e. US/Europe airspace however become almost invisble flying overhead rural areas such Kazakhstan and China or while transatlantic or transpacific.AsV offers a ceiling and range suppression option which prevents cycle updates while on final approach.Try to enable this and see if it helps.I'm suppressing all updates below 9000 feet. In addition I changed the update interval to 25 minutes only which helps to limit wind shifts, too. None of this is solving the issue completly but it limits the occurence quite a bit.In between cycle updates I still find AsV 6.5 very accurate and I'm able to do a realisitc fuel planning as GS is pretty much in line with what is forecasted in FSBuild.ThanksJoerg

Any chance anyone has found a fix for non-ASX users with non-registered FSUIPC modules?

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Guest onelimey

Hello All, This issue is still alive and well with ASX as well as with ASA. I can't fly any aircraft in ASA, every change in weather results in a 100 - 200 kt gain or drop in airspeed. I've went back to flying using ASX but it still causes this issue at random intervals, sometimes not at all. Does anyone have a fix for this especially since its more noticeable in PMDG aircraft?TanksAndy

Guest TSE

AndyASA did it for me - smooth sailing for the most part with very accurate winds according to the winds aloft reports and no violent shifts.I experience the constant S turns in the MD11 from time to time with ASA, however disabling FMS SPD and selecting MACH manually for a few minutes smooths things out for me.Re the wind shifts:In ASA, please make sure to enable "Direct Wind Control and Smoothing" - very important.In FSUIPC settings, please make sure that all "smooth winds near aircraft" settings are all disabled.On my rig having both DWC in ASA plus smoothing in FSUIPC active creates the wild constant shifts you are describing making the aircraft unflyable.Give it a shot.ThanksJoerg

I've been following posts next door in the hifi sim forum and it doens't sound like ASA bugs are worked out yet. I'll stick with ASX and FSUIPC wind smoothing for now.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest onelimey
AndyASA did it for me - smooth sailing for the most part with very accurate winds according to the winds aloft reports and no violent shifts.I experience the constant S turns in the MD11 from time to time with ASA, however disabling FMS SPD and selecting MACH manually for a few minutes smooths things out for me.Re the wind shifts:In ASA, please make sure to enable "Direct Wind Control and Smoothing" - very important.In FSUIPC settings, please make sure that all "smooth winds near aircraft" settings are all disabled.On my rig having both DWC in ASA plus smoothing in FSUIPC active creates the wild constant shifts you are describing making the aircraft unflyable.Give it a shot.ThanksJoerg
I tried all of those setting as well as ensure that FSUIPC was set correctly, it seems that ASA has a dislike of FSUIPC version 4.40. This is what they where saying. I'm using ASX at the moment with wind smoothing set to 1 kt every 5 seconds and everything is holding so far. In ASA with FSUIPC wind smoothing turned off I got the crazy S curve, and with it on I would stall out...TanksAndy

Guest TSE

Hmm, sorry to hear.I have FSUIPC 4.40, too.Just completed KJFK-LSZH, ASA forecasted 7:26 airborne time and I touched down after 7:18, so not bad at all.I had the S curves too, but disabling FMS SPD and selecting manual MACH usually helps instantly for me and within 15-20 seconds the plane stabilizes so I can switch back to FMS SPDJust a few more items, then I'm running out of ideas.I have "smooth pressure" and "smooth temperature" enabled in FSUIPCCreate Additional Stations & Enhance Route Coverage should be enabled in ASAI load ASA after FSX and let the plane sit for 5-10 minutes on the ground until the weather stabilizes in the regionI always import & process the flight plan in ASATry disabling all turbulence options and see if that does anything - I reduced those settings to my likingOn the flip side, ASA has some memory issues or is very memory hungry, for the first time ever, FSX produced an OOM error a few days ago on my XP64 bit system with ASA enabledThanksJoerg