Sign in to follow this  
Guest Totalbeginner

MD11 - Airbus in disguise?

Guest Totalbeginner

Before purchasing the MD11 from PMDG I knew absolutely nothing about this aircraft. But now that I'm starting to learn the systems I'm amazed at how similar they are to those used by Airbus. Is this just coincidence or is there a reason?Examples are:-Push pull MCP functions-Similar FMC pages-Similar symbols used on ND for TOD and EOD-Selecting ignition for start causes the packs to switch off-lights-out panelsand there are more!Martin Neep

Guest Totalbeginner

Ah ha, that way round certainly does make more sense!Do these aircraft share the same manufacturer for the FMC and EFIS?Martin

>Do these aircraft share the same manufacturer for the FMC and>EFIS?Martin,no, not at all. The MD-11's avionics were created specifically for the MD-11 by Douglas and Honeywell. At the end a FBW Airbus is completely different to the MD-11 regarding the system's and flying philosophy.Sure there are some things done the same way. However in many ways the MD-11's systems are more automated compared to A320-era FBW Airbus: Packs turn off automatically on TO, major system parts like fuel, ELEC and HYD are fully automated, push one single button to start fuel dump... and so on.There are of course differences the other way around where Airbus is more automated. But at the end of the day, they are just completely different.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

MD and Airbus entered into a memorandum of understanding to share technology and maybe merge, however that didn't last. I'm not sure if this is a part of the reason for the similarity in the airctaft.Bruce.

Guest tcable

Honeywell is the prime contractor on the Airbus suite too.Ergo, similar design ides and engineering. Probably a number of the same engineers to :)Tim