Sign in to follow this  
bwells

MD11 FMS procedures

Hello Fellow pilots,I have looked at the tutorial and is there anyone out there can explain better in detail how to work the FMS. The Boeing fms is so much easier like adding the sids and stars to the flight plan section and even make up a video on youtube going throught the steps just a thought. Also congrads to PMDG love this plane!Brett

Guest FrancoisH

Hello Sir, I requested some precise information but general procedures on how to use the FMS are into the FMS Manual you can find in the documentation directory... 256 pages of documentation about it.

Brett, what is it you are having problems with? If you let us know, I'm sure someone here can help you out. :)You mentioned entering sid and stars. Is that an area you are having problems with?

Hi Guys,thanks for getting back to me Im used to flying the 747 and 767 and entering the sid and stars and waypoints and jet airaways are easy on the boeing aircraft.But going to the MD11 its a whole different animal. The FMS is totally different from what im used to is there steps on how to enter everything from sids and stars and waypoints to airways.The tutorial just go's into a saved flight instead of starting from scratch.Brett Wells

Guest FrancoisH

Related to the route, the procedure to set up the FMS is almost the same logic as Embraer or Airbus FMS :* Put Departure/Destination Airport* Put (or not) an alternate Airport* Chose Cost Index and a flight level (you may adjust it later)* Complete the INIT pages (mass and fuel information)* Enter the Flight Plan (you may do it before init fuel for more accurate planning of your fuel).For the Plan itself, the way I generally use is :* Opening lateral revision of the DEP airport and set a SID (RWY + SID)* Opening lateral revision of the last point of my SID and click on airways page, put here my route and insert it.* If you don't have enough fields, insert and again on the last point open Airways lateral revision.* Last, on the end of your route, do a lateral revision or your final point (begining of the star) chose STAR and runway, insert and chose (eventually) a transition.* Revise your flight plan for any discontinuity.For the fuel planning, and as long as we don't get the table, I suggest you test a value a bit high, see what it say as "Extra fuel" time and quantity, adjust more closely, put the REFUELING block fuel you want and do a refueling if necessary (or use PMDG menu).Afterwards, set your T/O CG and go to the Take off configuration, put slope, wind, OAT, packs or no packs, and validate your V speeds.When you'll be more familiar with this system, you'll find it quite easy to use and not more complex than Boeing one, just different and even more complete on some points.Regards.