Sign in to follow this  
Guest 413X3

Engine sounds on full throttle sound strange

Guest 413X3

Does anyone else think the engine sounds are very strange on full throttle? When I set them for takeoff, the cockpit gets very very quiet, and all I can hear are the rolling of the wheels, the bumps, and the wind. The engine sounds go from faint, to non existent. This can't be on purpose, I would at least hear a growl louder and louder even if the engines are far behind the cockpit. Is this a known issue? I have a sound blaster xifi running windows vista x64 with the latest drivers

Check out page 0.00.77 of the introduction.What you're hearing is the packs shutting off for takeoff. :)

Guest 413X3

but I hear zero engine sounds. absolutely nothing. I find it hard to believe I can hear the roar of an md-11 when I am standing far away infront of it, and louder as it roars past, but nothing in the cockpit?

How are your FSX sound sliders set? If they are all set at 50 like PMDG recommends, try turning the engine sounds up and see what happens.

The engine noise becomes more pronounced as the jet accelerates.Andrew

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

>but I hear zero engine sounds. absolutely nothing. Yes, apparently engine sound doesn't travel to the cockpit or so little of that gets inside that is dwarfed by other sounds. Pilots can only be sure that engines are working by looking at the gauges.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Guest 413X3

and this happens only in an md-11? because in the queen I can quite clearly hear the engines

By default the PACKS will turn OFF at takeoff but you can select the PACKS to be ON for takeoff via the FMC Take off page.Also try to press "Q" twice to reset the sound level balance between the engines and PACK sounds - this resets the sound balance - there is a known issue with some soundcards which causes the cockpit sounds to be unusually load occasionally.If you still cant hear "absolutely" no engines then inflight goto the FSX options / Sound menu and turn off all sound checkboxes EXCEPT "engines" - now the wind will be off you can check if you can hear the engines.We spent alot of time making sure the engine sound levels in the cockpit are as realistic as possible, however if you wish to have louder engines it is very easy to do.Go to FSX options, to the sound menu and there you can change the "engine sound" slider from the default value of 50 to say around 60, but I wouldnt go too much higher as the sub bass volume mixing is optimised for the default volume of 50 - higher values may overload your speakers.Armen L Cholakianhttp://www.veryquiet.com/pics/sig_PMDG_MD11_DevTeam.jpg

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer