Sign in to follow this  
Guest yawdamper

System observations

Guest yawdamper

Hi folks,now, as I fly a Boeing in my other life, forgive me for my Boeing-ism and tell me I'm wrong about these things:a) Above a specific altitude, the FCP will only accept steps in 500 ft. Ie if the alt is set to 20000 then I can't set 20100. Is this realistic?:( If I press the ALT knob to maintain present altitude, the displayed altitude in the altitude window will be my exact altitude and not rounded to the next available step. Ie it will show values like 20180. Is this correct?c) Activating reverse thrust doesn't deploy the speed brakes (if they were retracted). Is this correct?d) With all IRU's off I still get the "PLI" or pitch limit indicator on the PFD. If this is correct behavior, where does the PLI get its info from? There is no more primary attitude information available, right?e) After playing around with the electrical and hydraulic system, I received the memo that the reverser for engine 2 would not be operational. When I then selected reverse thrust, I was surprised to see engine 2 go into reverse. FS limitation?f) For some systems, pressing "IN" on the System Auto/Manual button causes that system to go into manual while on others it causes that system to go into auto mode.I must say I am truly amazed by the level of realism and accuracy to detail! The moving FO's seat in the VC is a nice example ;)Cheers,Adrian

Adrian:I am far from being even close to an expert on these matters, but heres an attempt for you. Hopefully someone more in the know can clear up the grey areas...A) Yes. But if you are in metric airspace, and you need to cruise at 'abnormal' Flight Levels, then switching the FCP ALT control over to metrics turns it into a metres machine...:( Pushing ALT Knob is a 'Hold Current Alt' style function. Pulling it will set it climbing / descending to the level it is commanded in the windowC) If the Spoilers are armed (right click in VC) then they should activate, and the effoh should tell you so.D) Pass. Could be an FS thing, but it's modelled on the 744, i should imagine there is a secondary pitch related gyro, that allows this info to display while the IRU's are spinning up.E) Pass. Again would assume FS limitation, unless a secondary hydraulic system is opening the reverser doors for you. F) pushing in depends on the mode that they are currently in. I'm still trying to get used to the quirks of the buttons on her, and the status lights that they display when doing what it is that thay do. In general, and for normal operation, you want to look up and see that the majority of the buttons are unlit, indicating that the systems are in Auto.CheersPaul

>a) Above a specific altitude, the FCP will only accept steps>in 500 ft. Ie if the alt is set to 20000 then I can't set>20100. Is this realistic?Yes. If you need to set an FCP altitude that is more precise than 500ft you need to set the MDA to that value. This is used for example for a circling approach at a high altitude airport where as an example the MDA has to be set to 11200ft. If you set that then you will also be able to set the FCP ALT to that exact value.>d) With all IRU's off I still get the "PLI" or pitch limit>indicator on the PFD. If this is correct behavior, where does>the PLI get its info from? There is no more primary attitude>information available, right?Indeed, it is possible to have both the PLI and the ATT FAIL at the same time.Markus

Markus Burkhard

Hi Markus:I'm missing something :)How do i set the MDA?CheersPaul

Guest yawdamper

Paul,Not Markus, but:you can set the MDA on the EIS (at least that's what I think its called!), where you can also set DH.Markus,thanks for the heads-up regarding MDA. Smart plane, she is :)Regarding the PLI: I'm curious, where does the PLI get its data from when all IRU's are off? How does it know where to "paint" itself?

>Regarding the PLI: I'm curious, where does the PLI get its>data from when all IRU's are off? How does it know where to>"paint" itself? Good question! I've just double-checked the books and they don't say anything about that.However I could take your question as a basis for another one: When the IRUs are ON... why is the PLI placed at 10

Markus Burkhard

Hi!I would like to add another observation.When passing 10000 ft there is a second climb power reduction.Is this a customer option? Can it be turned on or off?Keep up the good work!! James (a small bug:no N1 rotation on engine start until fuel injection)

>(a small bug:no N1 rotation on engine start until fuel>injection)James,this is not a bug, the real engines behave the same way.Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest yawdamper

Any comments from the Dev's regarding b,c,d,e,f?Thanks!Adrian