Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

ATC - question (Transition frm flight fllwing to landin

Guest gasebah

Hi y'all,when under VFR I can request flight following. When I want to land at an airport I have the Airport options then. Now what would be the real procedure. Cancel flight following and then tune the tower and request a full stop landing? Or do I simply change the frequency and request the landing?Alex

In FS2002 choosing a landing airport from the ATC menu automatically cancels Flight Following (or transition clearance), without any further communication.ATC in FS2002 has some way to go before it is "as real as it gets" JC

Guest gasebah

So I supposed right that this is illogical in FS2002.Thx,Alex

Guest KenG

It would depend on the type of airport you are flying into and what airspace surrounds it.For example, if you are in Class E airspace and getting flight following (FF) from a ARTCC to a non-towered airport, I usually just tell them, "Center, Cessna 12345 has XXX airport in site." At that time, they will cancel FF, tell you to squawk 1200, and frequency changed approved. If I'm going into and approaching a controlled airport, Center will either hand me off to approach or tower, or may cancel my FF and tell me to contact the appropriate freq. It's usually the same if you are receiving FF from approach control (TRACON). However, those guys like to cancel VFR FF a lot when they get "overloaded". Sometimes I think one aircraft is overloaded for some of them, but I'm sure they are busy. Then again, the TRACON in my area is Class B and usually pretty busy regardless.Anyway, MSFS's way of doing ATC is not all that realistic in many respects. However, it is a good first attempt at incorporating a very complex system into this sim.

Guest gasebah

Thx Ken,that was an extensive and thorough reply.Alex