Sign in to follow this  
DavidP

[MD 11] Corrupted Graphics

Hi,I've never had to post a problem after having purchased everything PMDG has produced, so sadly here goes - hopefully my pics are OK as I've never posted screenshots either!Note the menu bar corrupted on one image, and the exterior view of the MD11 on the other. This happened in my last two flights, apparently quite randomly. I seem to remember someone posting something like this some time ago, but couldn't find the post. I first thought it may be an overheated video card, but not so, last checked it operating at a comfortable 40-50deg C. Also, some pop-ups like the throttle/pedestal appear black as well. Happened in full screen and windowed mode. I've never experienced this before.This after a fresh format/reinstall of Windows and FSX. Only other add-ons are PMDG 747/MD11, LDS 767, Digital Aviation F100. Scenery add-ons: Orbx series (has happened otuside their coverage as well).I'd appreciate any thoughts, ideas etc. Hopefully there's enough info here.ThanksDavidBTW - love the MD11 so hopefully there's a solution.System specs:Windows XP Pro (SP3)CPU Q6600 (not overclocked)RAM 2GB CorsairVideo: Sapphire ATI 4870X2 (Catalyst 8.9 drivers - no o'clock)

David Porrett

Guest D17S

I flew the VTOL MD11 configuration for a while during the beta. I RMA'd my video card and haven't had the problem sense . . . however, I have a sneaking suspicion that my - Uber-complete - driver uninstall / reinstall MaY have actually fixed the problem. You might give that a try. This is coming up from time to time . . . but then again, Only from time to time.The panel "look" is under discussion. Nothing determinate yet.

Thanks for the reply Sam,I tried the 8.10 drivers, then reverted to the 8.9's and still got the same result (uninstalled using Drive Cleaner). I hope it's not the video card, as it's nearly new, but I must say I've never seen this before. I'll try another aircraft and see if it happens there as well.Might try the 8.8 drivers and see what happens.ThksDavidPlease excuse my ignorance, but what's "RMA'd your video card"?:-)

David Porrett

Guest D17S

Try driversweeper:http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/It goes a little deeper. In safe mode. Several runs. Then CCleaner here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/Be careful with these. They are powerful tools that need one's full attention. Don't uninstall your mobo drivers too! RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization = sent it back = "Send me a new one. This thing's broke." (Ahhh, well maybe!)

Thanks Sam,Just so I don't waste too much of the team's time, I tried another developers 767 as well as the PMDG 747 with the same results. While I didn't expect it to be a problem with the aircraft it is obviously something at my end.So, I'm going to reinstall FSX from scratch and see whether I got a bad install or something.Hoepfully it's not hardware!Thanks again for your help.David

David Porrett

Hi David,I had a similar problem when running another application while FSX was running - the other application was also requiring heavy graphics usage aswell which seemed to have been the problem.Are you running any other applications while FSX is running?Armen L Cholakianhttp://www.veryquiet.com/pics/sig_PMDG_MD11_DevTeam.jpg

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest D17S

Ya know, that's a thought. A Q6600 will allow pretty high slider settings in FS. That's (potentially) going to load memory to the gills. When I run the MD11, I Always see over 2Gs or physical ram in-use with my Q6600, but I have 4Gs of ram installed. For me, this is not an issue. However that's also telling me that a Q6600 running the MD (at typically "Q6600 sliders") with a 2G/ram install is going to be throttling ram at some level . . . potentially a "to the gills" level. Consider a "ram starvation theory." FSX/MD11 is not leaving the op system enough for other operations (like Vmemory addressing) and potentially 'ram-starving' the environment. (Sure wish I knew what I as talking about!) You might want to set that 3G switch for your op system. However if this theory is correct, this might cause FSX/MD to use even More of the available 2Gs and make things even worse.Try turning down the FS settings thereby unloading FSX ram usage level as an experiment.That big Q + 2G/ram + 32bit op system + FSX hi settings + MD11 = VTOL?32bit/2G > 64bit/4G? It's a messy transition. We can tweak and poke, but eventually . . .

Hi Armen,No, I usually keep things clear for FSXRgdsDavid

David Porrett

Hi Sam,I actually looked at Task Manager at one stage, and if my memory is correct I saw something like 1.5gig in the status bar. Most of that information makes my head spin a bit(!), but I usually have fairly modest settings for FSX, so I'm amazed if you really require > 2Gig for the MD. By the way, I had the same issues with other a/c, but I have had FSX on this system for some time now and never encountered the problem.Thanks again,David

David Porrett