Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

Dual monitor performance question

Guest gasebah

Hi dualmon gurus,What is the better setup in terms of system performance. Plug both monitors to the GF4Ti4600 I have, or should I use a 2nd PCI-card that I also have. What would be the difference between these two options in performance?Alex

Guest Jaaky

As the AGP bus is so much faster, I would recommend to plug both monitors in the TI4600.

Guest SD Sim

Hi Alex,Sometimes the PCI card will degrade the performance of the AGP card, other times not. Since you already have the PCI card, just try each combination and see which works best for you :-)

Guest gasebah

Is there a chance that the PCI card will put less pressure on the system as it has its own memory. Because if that is not the case I'd rather leave my system as it is now (both monitors on oone GF4600Ti). You now "If it ain't broke...."Rgds,Alex

Hi,For the moment I use the same video card with two monitors for the PSS A320 Professional. On the main monitor I have the virtual cockpit or the spot view, on the second one (smaller one with 800x600 resolution) I have put the panel with enlarged EFIS screens in a separate window. Works great without appreciable f/s loss.Robert

Hi,>Here's my setup through a ti 4600, there's no performance >degrade at all. All you need is a dvi to vga adapter, I use >this on the lcd monitor. My vid card is a visiontek ti 4600 >using the nview software. wkzzo : could you give us more precisions about this photo ?(Like resolutions used for each monitor, framerate obtained, and eventually a few details about your visual details settings)I'm asking all of this, because i set up my dual screen on my Ti4400, but if i put more than 2 undocked windows i see the framerate dramatically increasing ...(Using 1600x1200 on 19" main monitor & 1280x1024 on 17" i finally got between around 20fps and 50 fps depending of the complexity of the displayed scene ...)If i hadn't a menubar displaying problem using a main screen resolution different from my desktop one, i think i'd choosen a lower resolution but ...

Guest wkzzo

I have the framerate locked at 20. resolution on the 19"crt 1280X1024 32 and the 15" lcd 1024X768 32. I have all the sliders maxed out and all the detail sliders maxed, including shadows on ect.... I never see the framerate drop below 20 . comp specs are a 2.2 p4, asus p4b266 mobo, 1.24 gb of ddr ram, visiontek 4600 gf 4. Also it doesn't matter how many undocked windows are on my second monitor it does not seem to cause any slowdown.

> I have the framerate locked at 20. resolution on the 19"crt >1280X1024 32 and the 15" lcd 1024X768 32. I have all the >sliders maxed out and all the detail sliders maxed, >including shadows on ect.... > I never see the framerate drop below 20 . Ok, thanks a lot for those precisions, i'll try to lower a little my resolutions, i really hate to see display 'saccading' or beeing obliged to decrease details ...

Guest gasebah

Hi,my setup is almost exatly as yours. I have FSFlightmax running on the 2nd monitor as well as the Reality XP GPS (I have uninstalled their radio and the NAC/COM unit as I have all the GoFlight units and prefer to change freqs and stuff there).BTW you should absolutely get FSFlightmax and replace your GPS window on the right with it. It is incredible.Is their any way to hide those ugly window frames??So I will stay with my setup as it is rught now.But what will I do with my PCI card? I guess I should get a third monitor soon :-).Alex

Guest wkzzo

Yes I am going to purchase flightmax, and am not sure how to get rid of the frames on the undocked windows, if I right click on the undocked window there is a menu item to hide frames but it is greyed out. Have not seriously looked into it yet though.

Guest gasebah

Thats what i Have seen too, greyed out, hmm.BTW the flightmax has no frame around it :-). You do not undock the window, you simply drag it over. Seems it is undocked by default.Alex