Sign in to follow this  
Guest MrBitsy

MD-11 climb performance

Guest MrBitsy

I am having a problem with reaching cruise level. When setting up the FMC, I set a cruise level of 330 for example (load manager used to set two thirds passengers and low fuel - typically 50 tons). However, the aircraft is never able to climb above approx FL270, regardless of thrust limits set - I have even set the thrust limit to go around, leading to high temps in the engines, but still it can't reach above FL290.Anyone have a thought to something missed in the setup? I am having this problem on EVERY flight, even though the FMC will show the best cruise level to be higher than what I am setting.

Make sure your weather programme does not inject some paranoid temperature at altitude. At ISA+0 outside air temperature is 15 -2*altitude (degrees celsius)up to an altitude of approximately 36000 ft.If the difference of current temperature (PROG page) from this number is +10 or more you will have considerable trouble climbing. VangelisPS. Please sign with your real name as per forum rules===================================== E M V Precision Manuals Development Group www.precisionmanuals.com=====================================

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

Guest MrBitsy

I fly on Vatsim. I enter 12 degrees C (FSINN weather after connection to VATSIM) on the ground when setting up the FMC. I set my cruise to FL310.I am now on the flight at FL250 - the max the aircraft will climb to. On the PROG page, the temperature is displayed as 12C. The calculation you suggest is 15-50 = -35. I do not see a temp in the FMC anywhere near -35!. I presume FSINN isn't updating temps aloft?What temp should I be putting where in the FMC?Raymond Keattch

Guest albertomolteni

Raymond,there is a known bug in SimConnect, which FSInn uses to inject weather into FSX. Please see this thread for details:http://www.mcdu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=21522#21522The solution is to disable FSInn wx and use the native FSX engine (or anything else that doesn't use SimConnect).

Guest MrBitsy

Ah, a problem with FSINN!I guess I will use the VATSIM option in ASX - unless that uses SimConnect? I will go and check :-)Raymond Keattch

Guest MrBitsy

I use ASX, not V6.5 - but as they both use SimConnect???Squawkbox is not compatible with FSX, so I have to use FSINN - I wonder how everyone else is managing with FSX and online flying?I last flew on VatSim about 4 years ago, but the release of the MD-11 got me interested again. I only installed FSINN a few days ago and met with this problem with the MD-11. The MD-11 is so good I purchases the PMDG 747 for FSX as well - I do not get any climb problems with the 747 at all.Raymond Keattch

Guest MrBitsy

Tried another online flight last night but the same problems with not able to reach cruise level.I used ASX for weather but no climb above FL290. I used ASX with manually input temperatures into FSX for several flight levels, but no climb above FL290. I used FSINN for weather with manually entered temps for several flight levels, but no climb above FL290.I tried the same flight using ASX or FSINN, but this time with the PMDG 747 - no problem with climb performance at all. Surely I can't be the only online pilot here with this climb performance problem in the MD-11? At the moment, the MD-11 will have to stay grounded from online flying until I find a solution. I will use the PMDG 747 for all online flights for the time being - a real shame as the MD-11 is superb.Obviously, I am not blaming the MD-11 here in any way - I realise the problem is with my understanding or how online weather is sent to FSX by FSINN or ASX. A controller yesterday was a bit confused at my 200ft per minute climb rate at FL250 - with go-around thrust limit set, with one third passengers and 40 tonnes of fuel :-)Raymond Keattch

Guest jonspall

Can I just mention you are not alone here! I too just bought the MD-11 and can not climb above FL200 on any on-line flight - even the EGLL-ESZH London to Munich tutorial flight, though I completed it fine off-line.The issue does not effect the 747-400 for FSX. I now have the complete PMDG collection and every new product surpasses the previous one - such a shame I can't fly this latest excellent plane on=line!

Just kill weather updates from FSINN. Uncheck ALL relevant boxes in the SET sub menu. Airport level temperature is injected at altitude.... To give you an idea +35C ISA deviation is the equivalent of 70 degrees celsius at sea level !===================================== E M V Precision Manuals Development Group www.precisionmanuals.com=====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group