Sign in to follow this  
Guest SkullxBones

Can't fly the LOOP4 SID (KLAX) MD-11

Guest SkullxBones

I'm having trouble getting the MD-11 to correctly fly the LOOP4 SID out of KLAX under NAV control. I'm taking off on 25R which requires heading of 235 degrees after passing the SMO 160 degree radial. Setting up the LOOP4 SID in the 747, it will show the 235 degree heading in the legs page and fly it. The MD-11 doesn't show it in F-PLN but it does show a magenta line in the ND that looks the 235 degree heading but rather than fly it, when it gets to the intercept where the 235 degree heading starts it continues to fly 250, and the 235 magenta line disappears. When setting up the flight plan you will get a disco after the SID. I don't clear it before takeoff because I plan to be vectored and will clear it after that.So how can I get it to fly the 235 heading in the SID without doing it manually?

You probably have to fly it manually (or using HDG mode rather than NAV). There is a big void after takeoff with no clear waypoint to go to (radar vectors in between) so I am afraid you expect too much from automation. Nobody said that every SID/STAR can be flown 100% by autopilot.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Guest D17S

Last time I flew that on Vatsim, I just cranked it around, hooking up Nav (LNAV, actually) to my next waypoint. Big mistake. Got a good chewin' out. The Vatsim controller suggested that if I had to overfly Hawaii, next time I'd better wait for a vector off runway heading. Good thing we can refuel inflight.

hijust my 2 cents, wouldnt it actually state on the departure chart "vectors" to XXXX, so you would fly the initial SID using MCP for heading to the first waypoint (given from ATC) then following ATC instructions, direct to XXXX then flight plan route use LNAV thence?

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Hi,Is there a MANUAL waypoint in the F-PLN page? If so - you're flying. ;)Best regards,Robin.

>Is there a MANUAL waypoint in the F-PLN page? If so - you're>flying. ;)In real world of flying if the want you to fly specific heading then they want you to do just that and not tracking to some waypoint - in presence of strong winds both actions will result in different ground track. ATC doesn't like surprises - the want you to fly exactly as charted.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Guest SkullxBones

>Is there a MANUAL waypoint in the F-PLN page? If so - you're>flying. Yeah there is a MANUAL in the F_PLN right where the 235 course should be, but I couldn't find anything in the FMS manual about it. I didn't know if it meant fly it manually or manually set up the heading somehow in the FMC. Not a big deal, but I thought maybe I was missing something since the Boeings are able to do it. Jeff P.