Sign in to follow this  
Mace

How do you know what STAR and transition to use?

How are you all figuring out which STAR and transition and so forth to use? I don't know of any sort of "preview" to see what is where on arrival. For takeoff, it's not an issue because I can see the flight path in the display.I use net resources (VATSIM prc, Airnav, FSCharts.com, etc.) but the navdata in the FMS is far, far more extensive...RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi,on SID and STAR I look at the fcst and will see what runways are in use - for dep its easy and for each rnwy you'll find in 99% of the cases only one exit point for your route and only one SID.For arr I use also the fcst and choose a rnwy which is the most likely - then same procedure choose the STAR for your entry point and the TR if avail - I use Navigraph.Before approach I listen to ATIS or see act wx and if nec I change the rnwy - I fly without "ATC"Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman FosterWill be closed Oct30,2008 - its a shame !http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

I use NavigraphI do too. I just found this very usefull maptool and I enjoy my flights a lot more. Especially if you fly online (Vatsim, IVAO)ref http://www.navigraph.com you get a free trial period.greetings,Eric

Is there any sort of program that allows you to "preview" a STAR and its transitions beforehand?RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

>>Is there any sort of program that allows you to "preview" a>>STAR and its transitions beforehand?>>Pilots pull out charts. You can get charts/plates on line for>every airport in USA.I use charts too, you don't have to discard totally FS ATC either, usually a transition in the chart will be available to request. It's possible to real world charts for most of the major airports in the World.

Yes, FSBuild2 is a very common, long standing, well supported, flight-planning tool which works with many major add-ons. One feature allows you to prview all the runway dependant SID/STARS. From the transistions of these SID-STARS, I build my exportable flightplan (without the SIDS and STARS) so the FP always lines up nicely with the transitions selected on the FMC/MCDU. It also gives me the chance to review the other various SID/STARS while I create the FP, in case anything changes enroute. Owning both FSC and FSBuild2, I prefer to use FSC on a second monitor with it's moving-map and AI-Display capablity, while I continue to build good FP's with FSBuild2.Regards,

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest PPSFA

If you are flying in the US, go to www.airnav.com It has everything you need including METARS.JayXPPro SP2FSX SP2AMD64 FX-60 Dual Core 2.61 GHz8800GTS-640 megs2 Gigs Kingston RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optimized by www.fs-gs.com

>>Pilots pull out charts. So do I. But not all charts are available on places like Airnav, FSCharts.com, or VATSIM Pilot Resource Center. You'd have to have a service like Navigraph to get them all.>You can get charts/plates on line for>every airport in USA.>And outside the USA? What else is there besides VATSIM, FSCharts, and Navigraph?RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

Ah FSBuild and FSC, thanks I will look into those. Didn't think they had previews.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

>And outside the USA? What else is there besides VATSIM,>FSCharts, and Navigraph?Outside the USA? Just use VATSIM's chart finder, and get the charts for the airport you're flying into. What I do is bookmark them each time I fly to a country, that way when I fly out of the US, I can just check my bookmarks. :)

You can also go to flightaware.com and see real world flight plans for the USA. These indicate the SID and STAR routes bing used by commercial and private aircraft if filed.Jim D

>You can also go to flightaware.com and see real world flight>plans for the USA. These indicate the SID and STAR routes bing>used by commercial and private aircraft if filed.>>Jim D flightaware.com is an excellent website for a simmer. You can find charts, flight plans per airline, aircraft type, arrival and departure times etc etcI wish there was one for Europe too...