Sign in to follow this  

Online ATC with voice

Can this be done? In other words, put a headset on and actually TALK to the online controllers? I have a high speed connection at home btw. I would love to try Vatsim etc, but I don't want to type my atc messages.thanks!Steve

In the main VATSIM controllers use voice with text as back-up.Occasionally you will get a controller on text only but it is not very often.Go on, give it a go, after it's free so what have you got to lose?

You will need the latest squakbox software program (a free download) and Roger Wilco which used to be free, but now is shareware...I don't recall the web address for RW, but you can get the squakcbox software at www.vatsim.net. Once you start using RW, you will be very unhappy when you have to use controllers who are text capable only.Sherman KaplanHighland Park IlN3435 on vatsim

Is the rapport between pilot.controller similar to what you hear real pilots do? Is the voice quality good, i.e. minimal breakups, latency?

rapport and personal interaaction depends upon the participants. Most controllers are very patient, though often as professional as possible. Some will ask if you have charts aboard. If you do not, tell them, and they will still provide vectors. As for voice and connection quality, it varies depending upon Internet traffic loads, etc...and other techie factors....Give it a try, and you will be hooked.Sherm

I too have not yet taken the plunge to fly with live ATC because of the apparant complexity of the software set ups required and having slow dial up access. I now have a high speed access but have a slow, by today's standards, computer. With all the programs running in the background (Squawk Box, Roger Wilco, FS Nav, Speech buddy ect...) What kind of frame rate hit can I expect? Do I need more computer to do this effectively and how much time will it take to get all the complex interfacing of all the required software set up and running for each flight? Where do I get a step by step checklist to go by to get it all set up?KenMy System:Gateway AMD Athalon 900 MHz Windows 98SE637 MB PC133 RAM64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS 21.83 DriversSoundblaster Live Digital Audio Boston Acoustics BA735 Speakers & SubWooferGateway EV700 17" Monitor CH Flight Yoke USBCH Rudder Pedals USBDual SunCom Throttles(One throttles, One props)Signatronics SPO22 VOX Transcom ICS System W/Two David Clark H10-13HXL HeadsetsFor Pilot & Copilot Communications Connected to the sound card for use with Speechbuddy VOX control

Guest flightpro08

Ken,It is true that the 'old' Squawkbox set-up was quite difficult. (You had to unzip a lot of things to various folders, overwrite files, etc.) Luckily, when I started about a year ago, there was an excellent tutorial on how to set it up. (Couldn't have done it on my own that's for sure.)The new verson of Squawkbox for FS2002 is a .exe file and installs automatically. If you installed your copy of FS2k2, then you can certianly install Squawkbox. :-) Roger Wilco (the voice program that VATSIM uses) is also a .exe file and is extremely easy to install.As for your system, you should be just fine. Squawkbox uses very little system resources and you can customize how much CPU power you want Roger Wilco to use. Basically, if you can run FS2k2 fine and have an internet connection, you're good to go.If anybody reading this has any questions about Squawkbox setup and getting on VATSIM, please feel free to e-mail me at young49er@cox.net I'd love to see more and more people get involved with VATSIM. Once you fly online, you'll never go back to that horrid FS2k2 ATC. ;-)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer

Just to add to the other posts here Ken, get 'enditall' so that you can shut down all none essential programs when flying on line.As we all know FS is a resource hog so every little helps.I am not familiar with the sound set-up you describe but all you need for VATSIM is Roger Wilco and a half decent headset with mike.I started off using a headset that came with Dragon'Dictate (sp?) so it could not have been an expensive set, I recently changed to a Sennheiser m@b30 headset which I think was about

I run Squawkbox and fly on Vatsim with a 500 mhz Celeron processor ;-)No problem at all either. It's the only way to go if you want live atc.

Well I guess i'll have to look into setting up for online flying. Where is that document that explains it all step by step to get started?Ken

hehe..I am too scared to go on VATSIM! I have everything installed ready to go, i have account with VATSIM, I have all the tutorials and I read them I have high-speed internet wnd a fast computer but I am scared to try it... :-lolI asked a few times here what I need to do to go online and everyone was so halpful but I still was (and still am) scared of making a fool out of myself because I don't know what to say...my self-esteem is too low :-lolI think I need someone to hold my hand and show me what to do.. :-lolMaybe some day I'll have the guts!!Take careMike

Ryan,I need to use your taxiway signs for my scenery. Possible?Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

try www.vatsim.net. I think they have full docs available or can steer you in the right direction. Sherm

Guest emergency_pants

heheheh.I know the feeling, Mike!In the end I just bit the bullet and gave it a shot. The first thing I did was fly into heathrow airspace without contacting any atc. I got a call from tower telling me I needed to contact him immediately. ooops!It doesn't take long to realise that it aint as hard-going as it seems.Go on... give it a go! :DSimon.> hehe..I am too scared to go on VATSIM! I have everything >installed ready to go, i have account with VATSIM, I have >all the tutorials and I read them I have high-speed internet >wnd a fast computer but I am scared to try it... :-lol >I asked a few times here what I need to do to go online and >everyone was so halpful but I still was (and still am) >scared of making a fool out of myself because I don't know >what to say...my self-esteem is too low :-lol >I think I need someone to hold my hand and show me what to >do.. :-lol >Maybe some day I'll have the guts!! >Take care >Mike

Just do it man! They can't see you, don't know who the heck you are (besides your name)...Do it with text first, then go to voice. Listen in on RW and you will get the hang of it pretty fast.